Help running 12v and 14v in one truck

Is there anything for me to worry about if i want to run one alt @ 12v for the stock electrical and the mids/highs amps BUT run another alt for a 14v system strictly for the subs.

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

do you mean seven 2volt cells to make 14volts?

shouldn't be an issue.

or some xs power 14 volt batts

or kinetic

ive thought about doing this in my tahoe

keep the stock location alt running every thing in the truck and your mids and high amps

then the second alt externally regulated and charging at 16-16.5 volts

2014 Chevy Silverado Crewcab

1994 Chevy Full Size blazer

No, I mean running a dual alt setup. One alt will charge a 12v battery and power the trucks electrical along with my mids/highs amp. The other alt will charge a 14v battery bank fro my sub amps.

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

shouldn't be an issue.

or kinetic

keep the stock location alt running every thing in the truck and your mids and high amps

Pretty much what I am wanting to do. I know physically hooking it up is nothing, i know how to do that. I guess I am more interested in whether there will be or could be any ill effects from running two different voltages. The only common points will be the grounds.

d(-__-)b

What mr ricky up there was saying was you have to have something to bump that second alt up to 16v. Normal 12v charges at 14v so 14v would charge at 16v. Other wise your 14v batts would just see there resting voltage.

Edit: thought you didnt understand what he was saying.. But pretty sure you cant have both systems grounded to the car..

Edited by 94retta(219)

shouldn't be an issue.

or kinetic

Pretty much what I am wanting to do. I know physically hooking it up is nothing, i know how to do that. I guess I am more interested in whether there will be or could be any ill effects from running two different voltages. The only common points will be the grounds.

ive seen it done so it shouldnt be a problem

i dont know if the common grounds will be a problem though

a guy on you tube (tuffguy40) is runnin a seperate 16 volt system if you wanna check him out

What mr ricky up there was saying was you have to have something to bump that second alt up to 16v. Normal 12v charges at 14v so 14v would charge at 16v. Other wise your 14v batts would just see there resting voltage.

Edit: thought you didnt understand what he was saying.. But pretty sure you cant have both systems grounded to the car..

Yeah for the 14v side of things it will have a dedicated alt just for the XS 14v batteries. I am going to get one with an adjustable regulator to handle this. I already have a HO alt that I am gonna use for the 12v side of things.

d(-__-)b

Yeah for the 14v side of things it will have a dedicated alt just for the XS 14v batteries. I am going to get one with an adjustable regulator to handle this. I already have a HO alt that I am gonna use for the 12v side of things.

sounds like you should be good to go :good:

i would contact someone that has ran seperate systems about the grounds just to be 100% positive.. :drinks: