02 Monte Carlo REBuild, Progress PG 6, DC, SHCA, Rockford

Before I smoked the coils (for fun no less), I tried firing my 10w1s forward in my 03 impala. Sounded like crap. The roll off was really high and it seemed only 60hz and above went into the cabin, even with the seats down. When I fired them backwards I was greeted again with deebeez under 60hz. From what I understand, you need to really seal it off pretty well because of loading.

Imagine a bullhorn. If you've ever taken one apart you see that the speaker is firing directly towards your mouth, against the baffle, and uses the horn to channel the waves forward. Your car works about the same. If the speaker was at the end of the horn, firing outwards, the sound wouldn't carry very far.

I know some have good luck firing forward with vented boxes, and I suspect it's because of too much cabin gain when you fire reverse.

edit: I'm tuned in :popcorn:

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Thanks for the insight... Guess I'll have to test it up pretty well before I put em in for good to see which way seems better.

Finishing up the bondo today.. Hopefully I can start painting tomorrow or the next day. And while I'm here me and a buddy are in a mini debate. My plan is to have the subs fire forward with a wall behind the box to sort of seal off the rest of the trunk that will also serve as my amp rack. He seems to think that will sound like crap, but from my mind it makes sense to have the air moving in the cabin and not the trunk... Am I right in saying this?

If you're gonna have the subs fire foward, you'll need to make sure that no energy is able to get behind the baffle, meaning you're gonna have to seal it off. Something like this

3c1f6d21.jpg

Otherwise it's gonna have cancellation bad and won't sound good at all

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

That's wat I sort of had in mind. In our montes where it's got the angled piece of metal I was thinking of leaving the space open from the front of the box to there but seal around the baffle with spray foam or something... Think that might work?

That's wat I sort of had in mind. In our montes where it's got the angled piece of metal I was thinking of leaving the space open from the front of the box to there but seal around the baffle with spray foam or something... Think that might work?

Not really sure I follow you 100% but at the end of the day you just want to make sure no air can get back into the trunk.

Like behind the back seat where it's angled.. But I'll take a picture to explain better

Not necessary, just make sure that no matter what you do you make sure no air can get back into the trunk.

Ah... long day of sanding and bondo fumes/dust. But i've finally bout got the box whipped... Due to the fact there will be an amp rack behind the sub im only painting the face half of it...

Picked up the supplies... with the second round of bondo.. :good:

IMG_0483.jpg

More bondo on the edges of the box.. yes kind of messy but to be sanded later.

IMG_0485.jpg

Bondo in the port...

IMG_0488.jpg

Bondo on the cutouts...

IMG_0490.jpg

Shot with primer and ready for paint...

IMG_0498.jpg

And my brother making me nervous while he breaks shit...

IMG_0493.jpg

Archived