Second Skin Audio

just screwing around on your site and had some ideas about the spectrum sludge and had some questions

if i were to use it on the whole trunk lid would it stiffen the whole trunk lid up to the point where if i were to push on it from the outside would i get any flex??

secondly would 1 gallon do a chevy lumina trunk lid or would i need more?

Edited by uhoh_45

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

anyone?? :clapping:

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

i did inner and outer skin of both front doors with one gallon of sludge.

it wont make it rock hard but it will stiffen it up pretty good.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

i did inner and outer skin of both front doors with one gallon of sludge.

it wont make it rock hard but it will stiffen it up pretty good.

how thick did you end up with?? and it works well i hope?

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

current build

worked well, no idea how thick it is... seems pretty thick to me.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

thanks there skittles, i'm going to look into this more and buy 2 gallons for trunk lid and area

is it easy to use?? and how long does it take to cure do you know (im hoping a second skin rep chimes in sometime here)

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

current build

ya, im surprised jon hasnt popped in yet.

mine took a long time to dry. i dont know if i put it on too thick or it was just cold. i ended up using an old heater on the outside of the door, set fairly low, about 35 hours, or more, after i applied it. that got the temp up enough for it to harden. however, i was told later not to use a heater. ken told me it could cause it to skin over and crack. mine didnt do that though. i guess the heat i used was low enough.

HOLY SH*T! How did I miss this thread? Apparently I went blind....

I am not entirely sure how thick you would have to apply Spectrum or Sludge before it got to the point it would make a panel completely stiff... just something that I've never tried nor tested. IF I had to guess somewhere around the 1/2" - 1" thick mark... which would probably cost you a heck of a lot... great now you have my mind working and will now probably see how thick it needs to be applied before a panel is completely stiff.

Spectrum and Sludge are both very easy to use. In the case of Spectrum, spray, brush, or roll on. Sludge, apply with a putty knife, your hand, or any other way you like to spread on peanut butter thick sound deadening.

Here is a dry time chart for Spectrum.

spectrumdrying-chart.png

And yes you want it to naturally cure, no need to accelerate the drying process. The most you might want to do to aid is some air flow to insure the moisture evaporates, but no excessive amount of heat.

EDIT: OP, 1 gallon would be plenty to cover your trunk lid at a solid 3mm-4mm thick.

Edited by Second Skin Rep Jon

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

thank you jon that was rather informative and i will get back to you on ordering some products shortly, once work rolls in and it warms up

another question is what would be the best way to apply it/ if i was to do it while trunk lid was still on vehicle would it run? (i donno what peanut butter acts like upside down/vertical)

or should i take trunk lid off completely and apply like that

and for 3-4 mm it would be roughly 5-8 hours dry time ??

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

current build

thank you jon that was rather informative and i will get back to you on ordering some products shortly, once work rolls in and it warms up

another question is what would be the best way to apply it/ if i was to do it while trunk lid was still on vehicle would it run? (i donno what peanut butter acts like upside down/vertical)

or should i take trunk lid off completely and apply like that

and for 3-4 mm it would be roughly 5-8 hours dry time ??

No problem, just hit up the site or give Ken/Sue/Max/whomever is at the office a jingle when you want to order.

If you are using Sludge, best way to apply it to the trunk lid would be either by hand (put on a rubber or nitrile glove), stiff brush, or putty knife. There is little to no chance that it will slide or drip, Sludge is that thick.

I sprayed Spectrum on my lid and it took four applications to get up to the thickness desired (2mm) and about two days building up the layers.

Time wise will vary based on the relative humidity and temperature, but you would probably be looking at several hours for it to feel dry to the touch at that thickness. And you also need to remember it will continue to dry over a period of about a month (more or less depending on the humidity and temp), so the initial sound deadening results will be a bit less than what it will be once it's fully cured.

Later,

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png