Sonic Electronix

Are my subs hitting a plateau?

It seems to me that the volume of my subs stop increasing after I hit a certain volume number. There is no distortion at all at max volume. They get louder as the knob rolls up to about 27 out of 35 then it seems like they hit a plateau.

Two 12" ported, tuned to 45hz 1000wrms my amp is 900wrms (so it says), could it be lack of power? also my amp gain is at 6v my head unit is 4v so I have not made that match up yet. I actually just went out and looked at it. Any ideas?

Also I'm am upgrading my mid/high amp to a suggested MB quart 4.125 and ideas on some 6x9's and 6.5 that will keep up. My budget is $400 for both sets of door speakers.

07' 6.7 mega cab

H&S mini maxx

DPF/EGR delete

5" TBE

4.5" Fabtech

35" nittio trail grapplers

20" BMF novakane's

Kenwood KIV-700

Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdCP

2-MB Quart 4.80

3-Polk Audio MM6501

ProBox DMC212L-1000 144db @45hz

Viper 5901

I'm selling Memphis door speakers. Both 6x9s and 6.5s if you're interested. See my sig for the sale thread.

EDIT: I also have a pair of Infinity 3-way 6x9s.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

I think you're clipping... It's really hard to hear distortion in bass... some songs the clipping is not so noticeable in the mids and highs because it is mostly in the lows...

You probably don't have a subsonic filter do you?

If so, you need to set it to about 37 to 40 or 45 at most.

| S-10 | 4.5^3 ft | 33Hz | SAE-1000D @ 1 Ohm | 2 SA-12s |

SPL: 143.7 Sealed | 153.4 Port Wars

It seems to me that the volume of my subs stop increasing after I hit a certain volume number. There is no distortion at all at max volume. They get louder as the knob rolls up to about 27 out of 35 then it seems like they hit a plateau.

Two 12" ported, tuned to 45hz 1000wrms my amp is 900wrms (so it says), could it be lack of power? also my amp gain is at 6v my head unit is 4v so I have not made that match up yet. I actually just went out and looked at it. Any ideas?

Also I'm am upgrading my mid/high amp to a suggested MB quart 4.125 and ideas on some 6x9's and 6.5 that will keep up. My budget is $400 for both sets of door speakers.

i used to have the exact problem years ago. sometimes you might not hear the distortion, but it can surely be there, and that is probably why its not getting louder. the signal wave is squaring off and not expanding. one way to solve this is grabbing a line driver. itll let you set gains lower and increase pre-out voltage, thus giving your bass more headroom and clarity.

1999 Monte Carlo

Sony CDX-GT34w

2 Alpine Type R 12"s in 4 cubes tuned to 35hz

American Bass VFL 80.1 amp @ 1 ohm (probably doing between 1000 and 1300rms)

Stock alt, Stock batt, Big 3 Upgrade

Boston s55- 5 1/4s (doors)

Boston s95- 6x9s (rear deck)

Archived