I hope this is the last big 3 question I have

Do I need to upgrade my engine ground if I'm leaving the factory wiring in place, and I'm running a run of 1/0 all the way back to my amp (soon to be second battery). I got to thinking about this after my ground run would've been just short of 40" long. I've only got 50ft of wire to get my upgrades done and two run all the way back. The vehicle would be in a 1998 ford f150.

Thanks

THE HOOK!!

Edited by captainhook426

Next time she tries to punch you in the stomach, whip your wiener out and chase her around. Show her who's boss.

Are you going to be grounding anything to the frame in the back? If so yes upgrade the engine ground if you can. If you aren't going to be grounding to the frame in the back there is no need. But I think it is pretty common practice to ground in the back even if running a ground line.

Do I need to upgrade my engine ground if I'm leaving the factory wiring in place, and I'm running a run of 1/0 all the way back to my amp (soon to be second battery). I got to thinking about this after my ground run would've been just short of 40" long. I've only got 50ft of wire to get my upgrades done and two run all the way back. The vehicle would be in a 1998 ford f150.

Thanks

THE HOOK!!

Im confused with what your trying to ask... The engine ground is the ground from the battery up front to the engine block...

Not all the way in the back of your car...

So for your big 3 its

Batt NEG -> Engine

Batt POS -> Alt

Chassis ground -> Neg batt

Thanks

THE HOOK!!

Im confused with what your trying to ask... The engine ground is the ground from the battery up front to the engine block...

So for your big 3 its

Batt NEG -> Engine

Batt POS -> Alt

question would be, do I need to do ground upgrades if I'm running a ground cable to the back? I will eventually do it I just don't have any extra coin to get more wire.

Next time she tries to punch you in the stomach, whip your wiener out and chase her around. Show her who's boss.

Thanks

THE HOOK!!

So for your big 3 its

Batt NEG -> Engine

Batt POS -> Alt

question would be, do I need to do ground upgrades if I'm running a ground cable to the back? I will eventually do it I just don't have any extra coin to get more wire.

You could get away with it sense the big 3 only strengthens the current flow... I only had the POS run of my BIG 3 done for a week until i was able to get to the grounds

Are you going to be grounding anything to the frame in the back? If so yes upgrade the engine ground if you can. If you aren't going to be grounding to the frame in the back there is no need. But I think it is pretty common practice to ground in the back even if running a ground line.

I will eventually, but can I get up and running without any issues with just running the line back?, or will I fry something or put extra strain on the system if I don't?

You could get away with it sense the big 3 only strengthens the current flow... I only had the POS run of my BIG 3 done for a week until i was able to get to the grounds

Did you ground your amp(s) to the frame then and not run the extra neg cable back? I'm over killing this a little bit because I don't know what this holds for me in the future, I may just stay with the single sub.... BUUUT I've been toying with the idea of 4 15's as well so I want a little extra, knowing 4 15's is a long ways away, but 2 could be in the very near future..

What are you going to be running? Id say if it isn't over a few thousand watts Run your runs to the back and ground it and all and worry about upgrading your engine ground later. Under a few thousand watts it won't make a difference. Watch your voltage drop to make sure it isn't too much and you will be fine. The front battery to frame is more important than the engine ground anyways. Only thing the engine ground does is flow current from the alt. Won't have as much of a load as the battery.

What are you going to be running? Id say if it isn't over a few thousand watts Run your runs to the back and ground it and all and worry about upgrading your engine ground later. Under a few thousand watts it won't make a difference. Watch your voltage drop to make sure it isn't too much and you will be fine. The front battery to frame is more important than the engine ground anyways. Only thing the engine ground does is flow current from the alt. Won't have as much of a load as the battery.

just an ap1800d and one Fi SSD. I was thinking about putting a ground right at one of the alternator bolts so that would help my charge out or no? I only have one real ground from the batter factory anyways. there are technically 2 but the second is 18 gauge and goes to the solenoid. I haven't found where the frame gets grounded as of yet. but I haven't looked that hard either. the ground wire coming off the battery goes the the vlock then goes on the the frame some where else.

So what all wires are you planning? a pos and neg run to a back battery? or directly to the amp? What else? Give a list and we can help more, im still not 100% what you are saying you are thinking of putting in. Tell us what you are planning on putting in and what you could put in. We could tell you the best route to go.