Second Skin Audio

It's some heavy ass vinyl, nuff said! :P

Ok here we go...

Luxury Liner is a MLV (mass loaded vinyl) barrier.

Each sq. ft. of material weighs approximately 1.25 pounds making it one of the heaviest vinyl barriers on the market.

MLV barriers work by actually blocking, reflecting, and rejecting the noise, where as a CLD mats are used to control panel resonance.

MLV products work best with the addition of a decoupler or "air spring" to "float" the MLV above the surface and to isolate it from any form of resonance that may transfer directly into it.

Luxury Liner Pro has the decoupler fused directly into the product to create a permanent bond between the decoupler and the MLV where as Luxury Liner is just the MLV.

I don't have the STL (sound transmission loss) figures in front of me, but the average MLV has a STL of 15-40, all dependent on the frequency. I will see if I can't find the exact specs for Luxury Liner for you.

If there are any specifics you would like to know, let me know!

Jon

Edited by Second Skin Rep Jon

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

basically what im wanting todo is kill the road/ engine noise and once i do my exhaust that noise too figured this would be what will do it im just wondering how much i need to cover my rabbit.

Luxury Liner or Luxury Liner Pro would be the way the path to take to tackle those problems.

To hit just the floor (not the hatch/trunk area), you'll probably need four sheets. The hatch area would probably require another two or three sheets.

You use something like this between the deadener and the mlv if i understand what your saying?

http://www.foamforyou.com/volara_foam.htm

Correct, but that is only if the MLV doesn't already have a decoupler attached.

Second Skin sells a 1/8" and 3/8" thick CCF product (OverKill and OverKill Pro) that make great decouplers.

Luxury Liner Pro = MLV with a fused closed cell foam decoupler.

Luxury Liner = MLV without a decoupler.

And remember, with a CLD mat as little as 25% is required to control vibrations, where as with MLV you really need to completely cover the entire surface.

usa_render4.png

If you can, measure the floor area of your Rabbit. If I remember correctly it's about 5' wide by 4'-5' long, so 20-25 sq. ft.. By the time you add in the curvature of the floor pan you're close to the 36 sq. ft. mark.

But if you could, please measure and report back.

Practically any store bought adhesive will work, just check the label and see if it says it's safe for use with vinyl.

3M spray adhesive, Amrep/Misty, and Second Skin also sells one. All work just fine.

usa_render4.png

Luxury Liner Pro comes with a closed cell foam decoupler fused to the MLV barrier.

Luxury Liner is just the MLV barrier, no foam.

Here is a picture of Luxury Liner Pro that clearly shows both the foam and MLV barrier:

llp_high_res.png

usa_render4.png