Connecting Sub Amplifier to 2 Different Receivers

Why two different receivers you might ask? Well I want a 2.1 for my PC and 5.1 for my TV, movies, etc. I know some might say to just hook up my PC to the 5.1 receiver, but I really don't like the sound of music or games on surround. I really prefer stereo for my PC. And the reason I don't want a regular 2.1 computer speaker system is that the only ones I've seen don't get low enough for me (usually frequency response goes down to 40 Hz.) Unless someone can recommend one that gets down into the 20's.

SO, this is the subwoofer amplifier I intend to get. Now, both the 2.1 receiver and the 5.1 receiver have single channel RCA out for the subwoofer. And the sub amp has 2 inputs (left and right.) So can I just hook up one RCA to the left and the other RCA to the right channel of the amplifier? Is it as simple as that, or do I need to rethink my strategy? Could that cause any problems, other than not sounding so well if I try to play some music while watching Inception (which I would probably never do anyway)?

Edited by LZTYBRN

Im no expert or honestly have much of a clue exactly what you are trying to do but I dont think it will work. Im assuming the amp is a normal mono block car sub amp which requires 2 rcas. I dont think plugging one from each separate system to the amp would send the proper signal that the amp needs to power the sub.

Someone else may understand what you are asking better than I do but this is the best I can come up with.

use rca y splitters .

like this ones

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-RCA-Adaptor-Splitter-1-Male-2-Female-Audio-AV-Plug-/260780543562?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb7bb4e4a

get 2 than put one on each rca on the amp than simply connect the left rca's from the both recievers to the left on the amp and do the same with right rca's

ampandspliiter.jpg

it can be done ive done it before.

Edited by stavo

lemmie figure this out, i dabble with stuff like this from time to time

if ur 2.1 has a rca output for sub then u can use that for the rcas, if ur 5.1 has a speaker terminal like a thing u hook ur speakers to the back of the recever to power the sub with then u can send the signal with speaker wires

but i sujest not to do it at the same time, it will work but u will not get as much current flow to the amp and signals can be miss matched

if both the 2.1 and 5.1 have rca outputs u cant have both pluged in at the same time due to back feeding and what knot, to get the full output of the amp u will need as much signal as u can get to the amp and it would be best if u had just one thing hooked up at a time

you can do it but its not practical and i do not recomend doing the both hooked up to the sub input deal, the way i put will work, and i think the high level inputs are on a seperate circuit from the rcas but im not sure on that tho

i just hook up what ever im going to listen to to my powered sub for the time being, i have my recever powering it with rca signal and my stereo threw high level, it works and does nicely, but 2 sets of rcas dont work right

hope this makes since and helps out ur question

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif

although your 5 channel receiver should be able to switch between stereo mode and digital 5.1

you can also attach your computer speakers to the 5.1 receiver with something like this

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

It does make a lot of sense, and thanks for the help. Neither of the receivers has terminals for the sub. Now what I'm thinking is just to use some kind of RCA switch/selector, because of the feedback thing. (Can anyone recommend one that might work?) Or until I find a switch thing, just leave whatever I don't want/need bass for unplugged, and plug the other in. But would splitters be necessary? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the signals from left/right just get combined later within the amp?

And to stavo, the receivers only have 1 channel of output for the subwoofer. And I'm also now concerned about the feedback thing, but thanks for the help.

As far as the speaker selector, that's almost as much as the whole 2.1 system is gonna cost! And besides, I don't want to switch over to 2-channel mode, and have my PC speakers be in the corners of my room. Need em a bit closer to my desk.