Jeep is sputtering or misfiring MORE INFO ON PG 4

My jeep is sputtering, Its hard to explain it doesn't do it like clock work its kind of hit or miss, For instance yesterday i drove to my buddys house (15 min) turned it off, went to leave 20 minutes later and it sputtered just a little bit and kind of worked its self out.

Well Today i took my little brothers to the park (8 minutes) then played there for about a hr then drove to the gas station (10) went inside got a drink came outside 2 minutes later and started heading home and the whole way home its sputtering BAD.

Pretty much anytime after i drive it and it warms up, i let it sit and it does it, I have been thinking Fuel filter, O2 sensor ect BUT i dont have the money to just start replacing parts so i want to have a real good idea first

Here is what i do know.

93 jeep grand cherokee Laredo

4.0 I6

new exhahust manifold

Just sprayed the fuck out of my throttle body with throttle body cleaner the other night (it was sputtering before)

Also the other day my buddys grandpa too a look at it and we replaced the Ignition rotor (it was in 2 pieces) and Distro cap, It helped a lot.

Any help it appreciated. I need my jeep to get to job interviews and take my little bros to school.

Also i posted this on the jeepforum.

Engines need three things. Fuel, Spark, and compression. You have to run through and check each one. Since it runs you can probably assume compression is OK. But testing each cylinder is the only way to know for sure. The engine has alot of miles so they could be worn.

Have you changed the spark plugs? They are cheap and they can look good but be bad. You can also pick up a $5 spark tester.

If compression and spark check out then it narrows it down to fuel. Fuel filters are cheap so that is a good place to start.

Does it have a carb or fuel injection?

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

Engines need three things. Fuel, Spark, and compression. You have to run through and check each one. Since it runs you can probably assume compression is OK. But testing each cylinder is the only way to know for sure. The engine has alot of miles so they could be worn.

Have you changed the spark plugs? They are cheap and they can look good but be bad. You can also pick up a $5 spark tester.

If compression and spark check out then it narrows it down to fuel. Fuel filters are cheap so that is a good place to start.

Does it have a carb or fuel injection?

just replaced the plugs about a month ago, its fuel injected

i have a Autozone rewards card and sense i spent over $100 in the last week i got a $20 credit so i might go pick up a fuel filter, IDK when it was last replaced, But it did it a little bit before i changed the exhaust manifold now its kinda comes and goes :(

take it to an autoparts store and see if they can put a code reader on it, thats what i do

its doesnt have a OBD-II Plug to pull codes

Does it happen at idle? Or while driving? Or both?

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

Does it happen at idle? Or while driving? Or both?

Both but more mainly while driving down the road/ In drive ECT

Had a shit ton of problems with a 96 Cherokee. Ended up being the Fuel Pressure Regulator being clogged. Pretty easy job...

yea im thinking something fuel related, It did it somewhat before i replaced the exhaust manifold, and when i replaced that i had to take of the fuel lines to remove the intake manifold from the engine bay.

But im not 100% it seems to happen more when its up to operating temp.

Im going to carry my cam tomorrow and if it starts up again ill get it on video. Just trying to get some general ideas

It might not hurt to try a $5 bottle of fuel system cleaner. I have seen that fix carb problems.

Big 3 with Yellow Top

It might not hurt to try a $5 bottle of fuel system cleaner. I have seen that fix carb problems.

Fuel system cleaner or fuel injector cleaner? I just put a half bottle of fuel injector cleaner in my tank 2 days ago when i put half tank in :shrug:

Archived