Sundown Audio

Need help :/

SkiD87

I changed my Hu about 1 month ago,also changed the position of my amp... So today i finally had time to play around with it. Put my sub back in and turned it up. The sub moves barely and you hear the distortion coming from it.. Checked all connections,all seemed fine. Turned the Hu interal amp off, so i could just listen to the sub alone.

Went to the cargobay to look at the amp and the sub. Put my db jams cd in and started to play some 25-35 hz tones. The sub moved like its getting 400-500 watts..Turned it up some more and it started to distort.. i mean i could hear the rattling noise through the sub. Put my dmm on the sub, all fine..Pushed the cone a bit, no scratching nothing.. So the sub is out of the question. So my amp (Jbl bpx 2200.1) does have this i/e opt aka Clipping led on it..

It doesnt come on, even if i unhook the sub an turn the hu at max BUT since there where no other noises (car off btw) i heard my amp making wired noises. It seems like there is some relais which is clicking like the music im playing. 20 hz test tone rattatattat and so on. And even if the woofer starts do distort the amp is not pulling any power from the battery. Mind i only have 1 optima red top under the hood, big 3 done, and a 150 amp alt. Battery with car off where at 12.4 volts. Turned the hu up and it barely drops to 12.1 volts. What could this be?

Thx in advance

VW Passat 3C/B6 Variant

Stock Vw Navigation System with Audio System Hi/Low Converter ( 3.sixty or something like that in the Future)

JBL Bpx 2200.1

JBL Px 300.4

Dynaudio Front & Rear

2x Ground Zero Gzuw 15xii

Check your ground that's the first place to start.

When you changed your HU maybe the old one's output was 4-6v and your new one is 2v? Just a thought, that'd mean the gain would need to be turned up on the amp.

Hearing a clicking from inside the amp is a sign that something might be wrong, open up the back cover (with it disconnected) and see if anything looks damaged or burnt. Clicking could be a cracked or cracking MOSFET

Current Systems:

2011 BMW 335i

Hertz HDP1

DC LVL3 12" Full Carbon Fiber

2002 Acura Tl
Kenwood DNX9980HD
2 DCLVL4 12" Subs with LVL5 Parts D.7 Coils
DC 3.5k
Hertz HSK-165 up front HCX-165 Rear
Hertz HDP4 Amp
DC Power Engineering 260 Amp Alt
Big 3 and amp powered with KNU 1/0
XS Power D2400 Up Front

i pulled out my dick in class many of times and had it shown. get over it bitch...stupid open legged hairy beavered bitch...

going over rms = smaller box, under rms = bigger box...

Low voltage doesn't blow amps. That's a myth.

A router that does the sub holes makes rounded edges also?

Here is a check list.

Make sure the subwoofer output turned on.

Make sure the subwoofer output is turned all the way.

Make sure your hooking up the subwoofer amp to the sub output or rear channel rca's.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

I checked that all. Hu before was a pioneer deh p 6900 so 4 volt pre outs and now it is a alpine cda 117 4 volt pre outs too. so hmm..All hooked up right.. Only things i changed was the hu and the position of the amp. Same grounds too. Made sure that no rust or something else blocks the connection.

No offense but im not a noob :) I greatly appreciate your help but all of that was checked..And the buzzing noise..It only happens if i turn the hu up past a specified point. So lets say hu on 20 all good.. hu on 21 and it starts making this relay like sound with the same beat the music sounds.

VW Passat 3C/B6 Variant

Stock Vw Navigation System with Audio System Hi/Low Converter ( 3.sixty or something like that in the Future)

JBL Bpx 2200.1

JBL Px 300.4

Dynaudio Front & Rear

Tested two things.. Since im using my cda 117 with the pxa h 100 the sub is connected to the pxa..Unhooked the pxa an connected the sub direct to the hu, same problem. I really think that my amp is bad. But what could that be? It sounds perfect at low volumes.. Sub plays accurate and clean.it happens only at higher power levels. Its like my amp went from 2kw to 0.5kw max output..

VW Passat 3C/B6 Variant

JBL Bpx 2200.1

JBL Px 300.4

Dynaudio Front & Rear

It is also possible the rca's have been pinched and causing the problem, it may not be but you have to rule everything out by trying things that are in known working condition to solve the problem. Start at one end or the other and work your way from the front to back or vice versa, by ruling out each piece as you go along.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Hmm i will try some things tomorrow..Hope i can fix it alone :/ But i have a feeling that i have to send it in.

VW Passat 3C/B6 Variant

JBL Bpx 2200.1

JBL Px 300.4

Dynaudio Front & Rear

Archived