Second Skin Audio

Orion HCCA Sub Problems

Here's my current set-up;

IMG_2045.jpg

I don't have an O-Scope and neither does anyone in my area (according to the O-Scope thread), so to be safe, I put my line driver at about 5v, and it was okay, but not as loud as I wanted it to be. So I turned my amp gains up half way, and I could smell the subs, so I just turned the subs off since I was so frustrated.

I thought these Orions were better than this. But it doesn't seem like they can handle over 2000 watts very well. I'm thinking about just selling all this stuff and getting 2 15 Fi BTLs and 2 Sundown 2500Ds (the frequency response is lower on the Sundowns, compared to my Orion 2500Ds).

If you guys have some input for me for why my subs are seemingly being overpowered/clipping, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I'm through with this set-up...

(Before you ask, I have 2 separate boxes because those boxes were laying around in my house for the past 7 years and I was impatient and didn't feel like waiting for anyone to build me a box, so I just put them in there. They're custom made Orion boxes, but I don't know what frequencies they're tuned to.)

1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Pioneer AVH-P5200BT

Hertz Mille MLK-165 Component System

Hertz Hi Energy HCX-165, 6.5

Hertz Hi Energy HCX-690 (6x9s)

Audison Voce AV K6 Component System

Audison VRX 4.300

Audison VRX 2.250

Sundown 4500D

SMD 15"

XS Power D3400 (under hood) Three XS Power D3100 (trunk)

Monster XLN-201 RCAs

DC Power Engineering 390XP H/O Alternator

Of course they are going to get stinky if you do that.... You have around 5v preout and your turning up the gain that high... It's not the subs fault. The gain knob is NOT a volume knob.

Rest In Peace mother.

January 22, 1955 - February 14, 2013

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/35351-megrch/

build a better box and it will make a world of difference. The subs don't clip the amp does... when the gain is too high.

Kenwood DDX 514

DD M3a

DD 9512G

RF 600.4

RF power series 6x8s

lots of zero ga.

Whats coming: Kenwood Excelon screen, DD high end comps, DD 4ch, XS batteries

Okay. Well, my first configuration was the line driver at "about" 5v, and that didn't hit the way I wanted it to. I could smell the subs either way (amp gains half way or at zero). Maybe just natural heating?

Pioneer AVH-P5200BT

Audison VRX 4.300

Audison VRX 2.250

Sundown 4500D

SMD 15"

Monster XLN-201 RCAs

Okay. Well, my first configuration was the line driver at "about" 5v, and that didn't hit the way I wanted it to. I could smell the subs either way (amp gains half way or at zero). Maybe just natural heating?

Your still probably clipping, how is your voltage holding up? New subs will sometimes have a funny smell during break-in from resin burning around the coil

Kenwood DDX 514

DD M3a

DD 9512G

RF 600.4

RF power series 6x8s

lots of zero ga.

Whats coming: Kenwood Excelon screen, DD high end comps, DD 4ch, XS batteries

New subs will sometimes have a funny smell during break-in from resin burning around the coil

I was thinking in these terms, but this is the first time I've ever seen anyone make that comment. This is also the first time these subs were powered at 2500 watts a piece. The original owner only had a JL 1000/1v2 to both so they haven't really seen any heavy continuous power.

But still.. With the line driver at 4v-5v, and all the amp gains down, it's not quite what I expected..

My voltage is stable between 13.8 and 14.4 for about 20 minutes, then it begins to drop since my reserve power is limited.

(Funny story, I ordered 2 D3100s on 4/22 from Crutchfield, but I canceled the order on 4/29 since they had lied to me and said they had them in stock when they were actually waiting for XS to get their shipment, which didn't come until 5/4. But even though I canceled and they refunded my dough, the 2 batteries showed up on my doorstep today. Now I have to return 'em.)

Pioneer AVH-P5200BT

Audison VRX 4.300

Audison VRX 2.250

Sundown 4500D

SMD 15"

Monster XLN-201 RCAs

maybe its the pre fab boxes .

i had a 12 HCCA. and they are beast. so its you that is doing something wrong not the equipment.

I agree that the subs are good, and that I did something wrong (in terms of turning the gain up when the line driver was sufficient), but this set-up just isn't as hard hitting as I'd like.

I'm going to purchase an O-Scope before I start my next build.. I can't believe that I've spoken with dozens of shop owners in LA who've either never heard of an O-Scope, or don't have one, or charge $125 just to use it (Al & Ed's).

Pioneer AVH-P5200BT

Audison VRX 4.300

Audison VRX 2.250

Sundown 4500D

SMD 15"

Monster XLN-201 RCAs

Archived