Jump to content

I Think My Sub Is Messed Up


Recommended Posts

Posted

Damn, I was out playing my 4 tens with some "walk it out" and was taking a video. I was in the trunk watching the subs with the video tape rolling. all of a sudden I heard a sub start to make a scratching noise and then it froze up and didn't do shit. So I ran and turned the car off and then when to push on the sub and it pushed in, but stuck. I was like FUCk. SO I took it out and then I pushed on it from the back side and it came loose and at the same time made a fucking nasty scratching noise and I was like its toast. Then I hooked it back up and it puts out noise and a little bass, but you can hear it making a scratching noise at low volume. But when you turn it up you can't here it. I tryed to call the tech support but they won't be open until Monday so I left a message. I think it is a defect and I hope I can get a new one cause they won't fix it or whatever they will probably have to send me a new one. They were bought on 09-07-2007 so they aren't even a month old yet, until tomorrow. I also made a RMA on the site and sent that to them. Man this sucks

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/mad.gif :angry: :angry: :angry:

Image15-5.jpg

"MY RIDE"

1987 Chevy Cavalier Z24 2.8L V6 -- CB Radio with PA speaker

Head Unit: 7 inch Jensen Flip-out -- Speakers: 4 Visonik 6 1/2s and 4 Visonik 6x9s

Subwoofer: One Audiobahn 18 - Sub Amp: Power Acoustik OV1-2000d 2000 watt monoblock amp --

Battery in back - Kinetic HC600 -- Sub box: Custom built 5 cubic foot tuned to 30 hertz

Coming soon: Bigger Highs Amp, Power inverter

"WhItE bOi AuDiO"

"FEAR THE DUCK"

Posted

sounds like you fried a coil....

Its a single voice coil sub if I fried the only one wouldn't it not play. I can swear its a defect because they really don't have enough power to them now to hurt them. I think if it was too much power it would have messed up the other one too right cause I have two of the subs wired together.

Image15-5.jpg

"MY RIDE"

1987 Chevy Cavalier Z24 2.8L V6 -- CB Radio with PA speaker

Head Unit: 7 inch Jensen Flip-out -- Speakers: 4 Visonik 6 1/2s and 4 Visonik 6x9s

Subwoofer: One Audiobahn 18 - Sub Amp: Power Acoustik OV1-2000d 2000 watt monoblock amp --

Battery in back - Kinetic HC600 -- Sub box: Custom built 5 cubic foot tuned to 30 hertz

Coming soon: Bigger Highs Amp, Power inverter

"WhItE bOi AuDiO"

"FEAR THE DUCK"

Posted

umm like I said you fried a coil. not enough power will damage a sub just as quick as too much power, just because its playing, doesnt mean its not fried...............

But your probably right, I really dont have a clue what Im talking about..........

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

Posted

how high are the gains turned up? even if they aren't being powered fully they can still be blown by an amp puting out a distorted signal from gains being too high...just a thought

My System:

Pioneer AVH-P3200BT

4-Dayton 7 inch reference series (front doors)

8-Onkyo 3/4 inch tweeters (dash)

1-Sundown Audio 100.4D (mids/highs)

2-18" BTL's (for now)

Crescendo 3kwp (for sale)

Complete rebuild coming soon...

Posted

umm like I said you fried a coil. not enough power will damage a sub just as quick as too much power, just because its playing, doesnt mean its not fried...............

But your probably right, I really dont have a clue what Im talking about..........

I didn't seem to sound like a ass if i did I 'm sorry. I thought if it was a single voice coil and if you fry it won't play. Could you explain what would make a sub not put out anything and why mines is?

Image15-5.jpg

"MY RIDE"

1987 Chevy Cavalier Z24 2.8L V6 -- CB Radio with PA speaker

Head Unit: 7 inch Jensen Flip-out -- Speakers: 4 Visonik 6 1/2s and 4 Visonik 6x9s

Subwoofer: One Audiobahn 18 - Sub Amp: Power Acoustik OV1-2000d 2000 watt monoblock amp --

Battery in back - Kinetic HC600 -- Sub box: Custom built 5 cubic foot tuned to 30 hertz

Coming soon: Bigger Highs Amp, Power inverter

"WhItE bOi AuDiO"

"FEAR THE DUCK"

Posted

how high are the gains turned up? even if they aren't being powered fully they can still be blown by an amp puting out a distorted signal from gains being too high...just a thought

like 3/4 I heard that is ok and anymore is bad. The guy on tech support said it was ok and I heard from others that it is too.

Image15-5.jpg

"MY RIDE"

1987 Chevy Cavalier Z24 2.8L V6 -- CB Radio with PA speaker

Head Unit: 7 inch Jensen Flip-out -- Speakers: 4 Visonik 6 1/2s and 4 Visonik 6x9s

Subwoofer: One Audiobahn 18 - Sub Amp: Power Acoustik OV1-2000d 2000 watt monoblock amp --

Battery in back - Kinetic HC600 -- Sub box: Custom built 5 cubic foot tuned to 30 hertz

Coming soon: Bigger Highs Amp, Power inverter

"WhItE bOi AuDiO"

"FEAR THE DUCK"

Posted

its quite possible to have a damaged coil instead of a totally ruined one, if you put not enough power to a sub it can cause the voice coil to get hot quicker ( like putting a geo engine in a suburban, underpowerering a sub is making the coil work harder to move the cone) and therfore may cause the coil to get hot and damage it! Typically when you overpower a sub, its being pushed beyond its excursion limits and therefore blowing the face off or some other damage.

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

Posted

you really cant go by what other people say is good. if I were to put my gains up to 3/4 i would probably blow my shit immediately. I would suggest setting them with a multimeter, but at very least set them by ear while you are playing them.

My System:

Pioneer AVH-P3200BT

4-Dayton 7 inch reference series (front doors)

8-Onkyo 3/4 inch tweeters (dash)

1-Sundown Audio 100.4D (mids/highs)

2-18" BTL's (for now)

Crescendo 3kwp (for sale)

Complete rebuild coming soon...

Posted

its quite possible to have a damaged coil instead of a totally ruined one, if you put not enough power to a sub it can cause the voice coil to get hot quicker ( like putting a geo engine in a suburban, underpowerering a sub is making the coil work harder to move the cone) and therfore may cause the coil to get hot and damage it! Typically when you overpower a sub, its being pushed beyond its excursion limits and therefore blowing the face off or some other damage.

Yeah I am suppose to be getting a audiobahn A8000T amp for them that sound power them good.

But, now that it is messed up imma try to get it fixed. Or put in my old ten's on the audiobahn amp

Image15-5.jpg

"MY RIDE"

1987 Chevy Cavalier Z24 2.8L V6 -- CB Radio with PA speaker

Head Unit: 7 inch Jensen Flip-out -- Speakers: 4 Visonik 6 1/2s and 4 Visonik 6x9s

Subwoofer: One Audiobahn 18 - Sub Amp: Power Acoustik OV1-2000d 2000 watt monoblock amp --

Battery in back - Kinetic HC600 -- Sub box: Custom built 5 cubic foot tuned to 30 hertz

Coming soon: Bigger Highs Amp, Power inverter

"WhItE bOi AuDiO"

"FEAR THE DUCK"

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 4762 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...