Sundown Audio

probably a stupid question about 4ch amps

D-train-13k

ive been fighting with myself about the ohm load on 4 channel amps.

say i wanted to run 4 4ohm speakers bridging the amp so it runs at two channels

the amp is 500x2 at 4ohms and 250x2 at 8ohms.

on each channel the pair of 4ohm speakers would drop down to two ohms. when the ohm load is 2 ohms on each channel do i add them together to say my amp would be producing the 500x2 at 4ohms. or would the overall ohm load be 2 ohms.

if someone could clear this up for me youd save me all night and alot of stress.

thank you

The IrishmanDCSig.jpgCheck out my build hereXL 4th order wall build logIn Progress:alpine cda HU4th order Bandpass2xl 15's1- ab 400.1 (gonna be two hopefully)4- Crescendo 8's2- xts crecendo supertweeters

2 sq super tweetsMb quart 4.125Mechman 270a alt1- xs D27003- xs XP3000

4- odessey pc1700seller feed back threadhttp://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/136418-d-train-13k/

When you bridge 2 channels of an amp at, say 4 ohms, it would be putting out twice the power of a single channel at 2 ohms. Basically when you bridge an amp each channels sees half of that load, therefore you bridged power is just twice the rms of a single channel at half of the nominal load presented.

If you were to hook up two 4 ohm speakers and you wired them in series you get 8 ohms bridged, each channel would see 4 ohms. Each driver would see the same power as if each driver were hooked up to it's own channel.

If you bridge the speakers in parallel to 2 ohms, then each channel would see a 1 ohm load, which would most likely fry the amp as most multi channel amps are meant to run at 2 ohms or higher per channel.

If you bridge the amp at too low of a nominal load you will most likely burn up the mosfets in it in a week or less.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

When you bridge 2 channels of an amp at, say 4 ohms, it would be putting out twice the power of a single channel at 2 ohms. Basically when you bridge an amp each channels sees half of that load, therefore you bridged power is just twice the rms of a single channel at half of the nominal load presented.

If you were to hook up two 4 ohm speakers and you wired them in series you get 8 ohms bridged, each channel would see 4 ohms. Each driver would see the same power as if each driver were hooked up to it's own channel.

If you bridge the speakers in parallel to 2 ohms, then each channel would see a 1 ohm load, which would most likely fry the amp as most multi channel amps are meant to run at 2 ohms or higher per channel.

If you bridge the amp at too low of a nominal load you will most likely burn up the mosfets in it in a week or less.

thank you. i just wanted that cleared up

The IrishmanDCSig.jpgCheck out my build hereXL 4th order wall build logIn Progress:alpine cda HU4th order Bandpass2xl 15's1- ab 400.1 (gonna be two hopefully)4- Crescendo 8's2- xts crecendo supertweeters

2 sq super tweetsMb quart 4.125Mechman 270a alt1- xs D27003- xs XP3000

4- odessey pc1700seller feed back threadhttp://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/136418-d-train-13k/

Archived