How to fiberglass (some one post a step by step)

OK im thinking about giving this a shot...I already own some of the small materials (buffer, sand paper, acetone, brushes, fabric)...Im thinking of attempting to make a molding for my tweeters (smallest thing I have).Im going to go to home depot and buy some  1/4" wooden dowels (to hold the rings for the tweeters and im unsure of what wood to use. I have 3/4MDF at my house already but that seems just too big for tweeters ;D What kind of wood should I use? Any?The way im going to do this is:1st. Build a molding of the tweeters, rings and dowels holding them up using either hot glue or liquid nails.2. Get the fabric lay it over the molding and staple or glue it (to hold) and ensure that it is completely smooth.3. Get the resin and apply it over the fabric (not over where the tweeter goes).4. Wait until it dries5. Trim away excess glass6. Buff it using 100 grit, then 200 grit, and up to 500grit 7. Clean it and apply bondo and let dry.8. Once it is dry sand again until it is completely smooth9. Once I get it as smooth as I want apply primer (not sure how many layers).10. After the primer has dried, paint (air brush).___________________________________________________Is there any thing you guys suggest me doing differently?Should I use fabric or some thing else to apply resin on?Is this a good resin to buy?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&item=290002750239&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

only sand with 500 after primer, sanding with 220 after bondo is fineand how to make trim panels????? lots of practice. I would tell you to try to make some out of 1/4" mdf, thats what i use for trim, then wrap them in carpet...then try it again, this time try to get within 1/32" away from all sides dont make it tight..... just 1/32 away.when you can get that close and have the panel smooth like glass, only rounded corners, no sharp bends or edges, then we can talk about vinyl..not being mean, but if your not there yet, it will be a waste of costly material..Like i said im gonna do a step-by-step on alot of things while i work on my van, including trim panels, door panels, kicks, a pillars, wall trims, ice chests, amp racks, couches, you knoe the usuall

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

• 4 months later...

so have you learned anything yet..... ;D

Hell yeah, alot actually. I learned some nice tricks and tips just mainly by going over and over your threads :^

I used fiberglass to help brace my friends box that I built for him. I'm going to be doing a lot of fiberglassing (alot for me) in my next enclosure. An estimated 4-5gallons.

I have yet to build an enclosure completely out of fiberglass though :- I'll eventually end up doing one though.

Archived