Second Skin Audio

Will inverting a woofer help

Surely having it inverted would make it handle the lows SLIGHTLY better because the basket/magnet wont be taking up any room in the box, making the volume of the box slightly larger when the woofer is inverted, and smaller when the woofer is mounted as normal with the basket/magnet in the box?

I'm not sure what the driver displacement of a type R is so I don't know exactly how much room the box will gain when inverted, I know its a bit smaller than the older type R models.

Edited by 3kout

This is correct on theory, but since it´s a single sub and it´s displacement isn´t that big, to the ears it won´t change anything, if we were talking about 4 subs i guess it would be another story :)

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

• 8 years later...
On 6/3/2011 at 12:43 PM, 3kout said:

I'm not looking for the DB at the moment, just how it sounds, I guess I'll just try both ways and see what I prefer, just out of interest what would happen if I didn't reverse the polarity with an inverted sub?

Actually the only time you should worry about changing polarity is if you have a second sub in the same box mounted regularly so the two don’t cancel each other out.

45 minutes ago, On3shot said:

Actually the only time you should worry about changing polarity is if you have a second sub in the same box mounted regularly so the two don’t cancel each other out.

Welcome to the forum bro.

That said, maybe look at the time, posts where made.  This shit is 10 years old.  Before a few call you out for "bumping" a old as fuck thread,.... im here to just tell you,.. look at thread dates. Cheers. 

Edited by Kyblack76