Second Skin Audio

Building a center console box....need help.

Im building a center console box in a 2004 dodge ram 1500 quad cab. Its gonna extend from the front seat to the back wall. Im replacing the back 60/40 bench with 2 captain style chairs so the box will basically be a arm rest style for the front and rear passangers.

I have the dimensions and the design i wanna go with but the box is gonna be fiberglassed and not a perfect square so how do i measure air space on a box like that?

Before or after you build it? Before you estimate, after you fill it with water and then dump into 5 gallon buckets and do some math.

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

Yeah i was trying to figure out before, i know how to get air space on a perfectly square box. This one is a little different though as i want it to run to the middle of the truck then slope down with a 45 degree angle to a straight piece of wood and then slope back up with another 45 degree slope for the "rear" console.

So best way to describe the slope is like this \_/ and before and after that it would just be flat...the slope is where the subs would go facing eachother....good idea?

Its a bit confusing to describe over a forum but me and a buddy sketched it up on his computer but i dont have the sketch up. Dimesions i have to work with are 60"x15"x13.5.

Cut off the 45s from the squares so it makes a right triangle. Find the airspace of the individual squares, and the individual triangles, and then add them together. In theory it seems like it would work, though my geometry isn't the best.

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

I was able to get the quick sketch up we got....it was just a rough idea but here it is.

IMG_0400.jpg

With hard edges like that it is pretty easy, just section the drawing into as many square sections as possible, add them together then find the area of any triangular sections (45s) do them as squares then half the answer. add all the volumes together and boom you have a solid estimate. If there is any curving if it i slight it can be negligible due to internal structuring (support)or speaker displacement

^^ damn was just too late lol

Edited by dcofer

Yeah i was planning on having all edges rounded so its not so boxy and flows better with the outside lines of the truck. Im sure that math would work and doesnt seem to hard to find out. Would i notice any problems with the subs firing at each other like that?

This would be my first big fiberglass build but if it goes as planned its gonna be pretty sweet.

build a 1 cubic foot boox and fill it with packing peanuts then dump it in the box, how ever many it takes is how much internal air space you have

do forget to deduct sub disp too.

Edited by RickyFriery97

2014 Chevy Silverado Crewcab

1994 Chevy Full Size blazer