Sonic Electronix

Doing a demo...then a few blew

Now, I am a little confused about what type of wire to get. From what I understand, OFC wire will handle more amps (around 200 amps) and CCA will handle around 150amps. I assume OFC is oxygen free copper and CCA is copper-clad aluminum. I saw a post on ebay for "Oxygen free CCA wire", which is a little confusing. The strands are 3185 in the 0/1 gauge wire I was looking at but I wanted to see if I should look specifically for OFC, or if I would be fine with CCA wire, or "Oxygen Free CCA" wire.

1991 Accord

Audioque HDC3 15" (Copper)<--Sub

Audioque HDC3 15" (Copper)<--Backup Sub

Crescendo BC2000D<--Amp

Big 3

1/0 Knu<--Wiring

Eonon 3.5" DVD<--Headunit

Infinity Kappa Perfect<--Mids & Highs

2nd Stock 80Amp alt.

1991 Mustang 5.0

Too many mods

(Sold)

1991 240sx SR20 Red Top

Too many mods

(Sold)

2004 GTO

Just starting mods

Now, I am a little confused about what type of wire to get. From what I understand, OFC wire will handle more amps (around 200 amps) and CCA will handle around 150amps. I assume OFC is oxygen free copper and CCA is copper-clad aluminum. I saw a post on ebay for "Oxygen free CCA wire", which is a little confusing. The strands are 3185 in the 0/1 gauge wire I was looking at but I wanted to see if I should look specifically for OFC, or if I would be fine with CCA wire, or "Oxygen Free CCA" wire.

if your gettin 0 gauge it doesn't matter which ofc is better but if you want you can get the cca just put 250 amp fuse in it done

edit: skittlesrgood says cca can handle 250 amp. and i think ofc can handle 300 amp

Woops, thats what I meant to say. 300 amps for OFC and 250amps for CCA

1991 Accord

Crescendo BC2000D<--Amp

Big 3

1/0 Knu<--Wiring

2nd Stock 80Amp alt.

1991 Mustang 5.0

Too many mods

(Sold)

1991 240sx SR20 Red Top

Too many mods

(Sold)

2004 GTO

Just starting mods

If you can, I would get some 1/0 OFC wire. It's not much more expensive and will allow a bit more power through it, incase you ever up the power. Fuse it with a 300A fuse.

But you need to worry about your electrical as well. It won't be able to support all the power the amplifier wants, and voltage will drop. This in turn will hurt the amplifier, so make sure you have the proper electrical to support the amp.

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

So when I jump to 0/1 gauge, bump my fuse up to a 300amp fuse. Now when I do the big 3, I need to fuse the wire from the alternator + to the battery + correct? What fuse would I use then? Also, I assume it needs to be within 12" of the battery.

1991 Accord

Crescendo BC2000D<--Amp

Big 3

1/0 Knu<--Wiring

2nd Stock 80Amp alt.

1991 Mustang 5.0

Too many mods

(Sold)