Sonic Electronix

I'm not one to ask questions, but I am completely stumped. I've never seen an issue like this and I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure this out... I'll try to keep it short.

Recently, a sudden engine whine came out of nowhere during the build. Not sure where/when it happened, so I ended up troubleshooting every component. I'm completely fucking stumped and very demotivated at the moment, so please bear with me..

I've done every bit of research I can do on this issue and I've tried about 40 different things in the past two weeks. I'm sure you noticed my build came to a stand still.. Here are the steps I've taken and the results. Let me know what you experienced installers might have to offer.

Normal wiring - engine whine

Tested ALL leads, grounds, connections, alternator leads, voltage drops - normal

Tested RCA AC voltage (radio off) at amp - picks up whine

Tested preout AC voltage at radio - nothing (?)

Induction right? Ran RCAs over seats - no change in whine

Only one RCA in a pair hooked up - loud enough to damage speakers

Ground loop isolator - no change

Power line noise filter - no change

Grounded RCAs - worsens noise

RCAs disconnected from HU - no change (?)

RCAs disconnected from amp - NOISE GONE

New remote wires - no change

And here's the part that stumps me....

RCA directly to phone - no noise

RCA directly to phone (while charging) - same noise

So maybe this is a simple fix, but I didn't even list half of what I've done. I rewired, relocated, ghetto rigged, etc. and I'm left with nothing. Anybody have any ideas? The only thing I haven't tried is a new HU. It would make no sense to do that since I've already eliminated it from the equation.

Ffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Edited by Neo_frog

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/

x2 on the pico fuse pioneer issue, if you have the time pull the deck apart and check that fuse on the rca's and solder in a piece of copper in its place if it is blown...will save you problems down the road if that is the case. :yahoo:

DCAUDIO

BALLS DEEP

So when you pull the RCA out of head unit there is still noise but if you disconnect RCA from amp it goes away. Have you tried a new RCA? Also disconnect all speakers from amp. Then connect one at a time to see if one speaker causes the noise cause you may have a shorted wire or speaker. I have seen speakers that would short to ground through the basket

Edited by shaggy

Tried running a brand new power wire and ground straight to the batt for the radio?

I tried this from the rear batteries. It had the same noise.. also tried a noise filter and it did nothing on either wire setup.

I did a very similar rig grounding the whole RCA chassis to both vehicle chassis and HU chassis. It made the noise louder.

I read through this guide and several others. I tried everything in all of the guides, but it seems like the problem exists no matter how it's wired, filtered, grounded, or even disconnected.

Guys, I'm not trying to come off like a know-it-all, but I have been battling this issue for weeks and I have really tried EVERY fix in every guide short of scrapping it all and buying all new equipment. But really, thank you for the help. :(

[email protected]

So when you pull the RCA out of head unit there is still noise but if you disconnect RCA from amp it goes away. Have you tried a new RCA?

I have about 20 sets of RCAs in my garage. After relocating my existing RCAs, I tried three different sets over the seats and it persists. Even through the phone 1/8th to RCA cable.

And that confuses the hell out of me, I know. Pulling off the amp stops it, but pulling it off the HU doesn't. That eliminated HU and pointed me in the direction of induction, but that was trumped using the phone and running new RCAs over the seats..

[email protected]

x2 on the pico fuse pioneer issue, if you have the time pull the deck apart and check that fuse on the rca's and solder in a piece of copper in its place if it is blown...will save you problems down the road if that is the case. :yahoo:

The pico fuse I'll have to look into. I'm not sure if the Eclipse is set up that way, but definitely something I'll try. I'll try anything.

[email protected]