Sonic Electronix

Want to know about tuning below Fs?

I want to build a box for my 10 inch subs that is tuned to 35 hertz instead of 40 hertz.

Most of my 10s have an Fs of 38 hertz and some have Fs of 33 hertz.

What is the consequence for tuning below Fs?

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

tuning below fs is fine. Just make sure you set your SSF. Here is a discussion on DIYMA.

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-spl-forum/83904-tuning-ported-enclosure-below-drivers-fs.html

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D

Thanks man :)

Ya I should be fine and this conforms what I was thinking.

If I have a fixed subsonic filter at 25 hertz and tuning at 40 there is just a big gap there where the woofer can unload. On larger subs I like to be tuned at 35 hertz for the sound and an unloading gap of 25 to 35 I like better.

10s sound pretty good at 40 and I understand why I would do that but I just have the feeling that I will enjoy my 10 at 35 hertz better.

If my port wasn't L shaped or a fixed port I would make it changeable. Ah maybe I might still make a changeable port if the box is large enough.

LOL back to the drawing board.

Thanks again.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Terryswork001.png

F3 point is the important part.

U could tune to 40 and have an f3 of 28

Or you could tune to 35 and have an f3 of 34.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

F3 point is the important part.

U could tune to 40 and have an f3 of 28

Or you could tune to 35 and have an f3 of 34.

What is the difference between F3 and Fs?

For some reason I only find one term or the other.

Terryswork001.png

Im pretty sure that the F3 is the point the sub could play below tuning before it reaches its -3db point. So like Ray said a box could be tuned at 40hz and not really reach its f3 point till 28hz, 12hz below tuning.

Fs is the resonant freq the speaker has in a free air environment.

Edit. Forgot about this post, but it explains it better than I did.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know-about-car-audio/

Edited by OBI

Holy WoW, I didn't even know that thread existed here and I hope that it is pinned some where.

LOL I think reading that should be a prerequisite before you could become a member here HA HA HA.

Thanks man that will help me out. There is always so much to learn and forget and things a person just didn't have to concern their selves with learning that this thread is a big deal.

Thank you again for linking me to it :)

Edited by ISO

Terryswork001.png

Holy WoW, I didn't even know that thread existed here and I hope that it is pinned some where.

LOL I think reading that should be a prerequisite before you could become a member here HA HA HA.

Thanks man that will help me out. There is always so much to learn and forget and things a person just didn't have to concern their selves with learning that this thread is a big deal.

Thank you again for linking me to it :)

Glad I could help bro :good: