New HT speakers

So this past saturday me and a good friend wired my house up for 5.1 surround, cable/internet, satellite and outdoor speakers. We also mounted my tv on the wall above my fire place. We ran everything in the walls so there are no wires showing besides the ones coming from the receiver.

We used these wall plates called keystones. Basically you can customize the wall plates to accommodate what ever you want in them.

For example:

Behind my tv on the wall i have a double gang plate with 12 spots. Every connection takes up one spot so for the RGB (component) it takes three spots, I have an HDMI, Cat5 and terminals for my center channel.

Behind my receiver I have two double gang 12 spot plates with 14 speaker terminals, 5 for the surround sound and instead of running a 7.1 surround I used the remaining two for my dual zone, We ran them to the back deck. This way I still have 5.1 in the living room and I use the other two for listening out back when I have a cook out or something.

I have two Cat 5 connections, one goes behind the tv and the other goes to my bed room so i dont have to run my PC wireless.

I have two coaxial connections, one for my Internet and one for my Satellite. I have one HDMI port that goes to my TV.

Also have single gang plates around the room for the surround speakers.

So this brings me to my main question. I am running a Pioneer Elite receiver that puts out 110w each ch @ 8 ohms. I can however wire as low as 6 ohms. I dont want any big towers or anything just some nice ported bookshelf type speakers. I need 5 of them with a mid and tweeter. Then for the center ch I want to do a MTM setup using the same speakers. Also need some x-overs for them and I prefer ones that are already made.

I would like to spend no more than like $30-40 per driver. So suggest away.

Edit: I didnt make it to clear but i will be building my ouw cabinets so i just need suggestions for mid/highs and crossovers.

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

Well since nobody has any suggestions on what to buy so i can build my own....what about Phoenix Gold IHS6B indoor/outdoor speakers? I actually went and picked up four pair the other day from a local guy trying to move some. I only paid $100 for all 4 pair BNIB. They sound pretty damn good, dont have real good mid bass or any low end but they do ok.

I bought 2 pair for myself and two for my pops to use as outdoor speakers but for the money I think they would do just fine for a HT speaker...for now at least.

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

• 1 month later...

first off i have to say you are very smart for wiring your house like you did. I work in Best Buy's home theater department so I've seen a fair share of home theater systems, and this one has to be one of the best organized.

It's always important to take into account all the nitty gritty things like ethernet, HDMI and multi-zone, because it is very difficult (and can be expensive) to do after drywall is in place. so again props to you. :drinks:

an unfinished basement/theater room is my home theater wet dream, so i'm also pretty jealous of your setup.

now as far as your question goes there aren't a lot decent HT bookshelf speakers in the price range that you're looking for that I've seen. at least not at retail prices. i'm not sure if there's any other less mainstream brands out there that have cheaper HT bookshelf speakers that match your criteria. maybe check out audio savings and see if they have anything.

as far as your outdoor speakers go, if you're close to a Best Buy you could get some insignia indoor/outdoor speakers. they're about 83 for a pair. they sound pretty crisp, especially for the price. they have pretty decent midbass and the sound quality of them rivals that of Klipsch's outdoor speakers.

that's all i know, so good luck with your home theater system!

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

Archived