Second Skin Audio

dls ultimate nobelium 15''

I hate multiquote being broken on this forum......

Skittles - I've used enough aluminum cone woofers to know they have a bright or tinnish sound to them in most anything but a bandpass enclosure. I've also folded several cones on drivers 15" and larger. Does this mean DLS has these issues? Dunno, but aluminum has a spotty track record for me and many others. Might work perfectly fine for the OP as he may never push them as hard as some of us do and maybe doesnt like transients or output below 25hz very much which requires decent amounts of excursion.

Korey - Point out what DLS has done differently than every other aluminum cone driver before? To me it looks like a woofer with the same parts as every other off-the-shelf basket/spider/2-slug setup out there. Just with an aluminum cone.

Edited by STEvil

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Skittles - I've used enough aluminum cone woofers to know they have a bright or tinnish sound to them in most anything but a bandpass enclosure. I've also folded several cones on drivers 15" and larger. Does this mean DLS has these issues? Dunno, but aluminum has a spotty track record for me and many others. Might work perfectly fine for the OP as he may never push them as hard as some of us do and maybe doesnt like transients or output below 25hz very much which requires decent amounts of excursion.

Korey - Point out what DLS has done differently than every other aluminum cone driver before? To me it looks like a woofer with the same parts as every other off-the-shelf basket/spider/2-slug setup out there. Just with an aluminum cone.

like i said, it all depends on the type of sound you like. metal cones are more accurate but that usually means they are more harsh as well. if you are actually an SQ person then you will have the means to EQ and take that harshness down to eliminate ear fatigue. but some people like the bright sound. they are not meant to be beaten all to hell like an SPL woofer. so if you do that, its your fault you folded the cone, not the speaker's. its just the nature of metal, it doesnt flex so much until it becomes a bend and it doesnt go back to its original shape. the paper actually flexes more, but it wont bend and it does go back to its original shape. its not an engineering thing, thats just how those two materials react.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

like i said, it all depends on the type of sound you like. metal cones are more accurate but that usually means they are more harsh as well. if you are actually an SQ person then you will have the means to EQ and take that harshness down to eliminate ear fatigue. but some people like the bright sound. they are not meant to be beaten all to hell like an SPL woofer. so if you do that, its your fault you folded the cone, not the speaker's. its just the nature of metal, it doesnt flex so much until it becomes a bend and it doesnt go back to its original shape. the paper actually flexes more, but it wont bend and it does go back to its original shape. its not an engineering thing, thats just how those two materials react.

if you know what your doing cone resonance means nothing, especially if you know how high the freq it resonates at

mcintoshsigz.png

previously known as wenn_du_weinst aka fucking internet coward supreme.  I talk shit on other forums like a little bitch and hope i don't get caught out on the street.  

Yes, you can EQ out the metal cone, but its more work and accuracy is debatable as the EQ work may in the end attenuate complementary frequencies as well, which may be undesirable. Really a sub shouldnt be bright, thats content that the low/midbass drivers should be handling. My statement is the same, they are poor for SQ use in general. Doesnt mean you cant use them. Subsonic/transient content requires excursion and there's no getting away from it unless you have tons of woofers and a box under your house like some crazy people do.

Korey - I'm still waiting for you to tell us what they did differently with the cone. I see no bracing and cant seem to find a moving mass measurement either, so as far as i'm concerned its just a regular aluminum cone that will deform and fold if used in anything beyond moderate volumes eventually.

Edited by STEvil

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

a transient doesnt require tons of excursion... its mostly about cone control. in fact i would imagine a metal cone to do well with transients.

but look, we get it. you broke some metal cones and now you dont like them. but that is your opinion. it doesnt make it fact. you cant knock all subs that use the same material. thats like me saying copper coils are garbage because i fried some.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

This is fail thread worthy.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz