Sundown Audio

Opinions...

littleitaly1990

We are discussing it via pm but I will post what I said here:

Tell me Y I blew one of My xxx's in a damn near perfect box, Unclipped (checked the amp with an O-scope loaded and unloaded) with only 1700 watts? The box was 9 cubes b4 displacement the first port was3x19x7, second one was 5x19x9. I also said that greg from RE (the shops rep) said it was a power issue and he said that if the subs require a minimum of 2k on the power side. I have been doing this a while but if you can tell me please let me know.

my arguement with this statement is in your last line. the minimum power of the XXX isnt 2k thats the recommended RMS , its like a double edged sword .

A. we have Roscoe and David form SMD telling us that we need to run over RMS as per greg form RE

B. We have RE not warrantying a sub because you ran it over RMS.

im sorry if i misquoted, i just assumed by saying you agreed with what he was saying that it was the same.

Im sorry

and in all honesty this is a great topic that i would love to have a contructive conversation on. because its very hard for me to take that 250watts below rms is THE reaon why a RE XXX (that ive ran 6 of at different wattages) blew.

I do agree that under powering a sub will eventually kill it, and the reason I agree is because people tend to push things past thier limits, wanting it just a tad bit louder than what it is = driving any amp (not just shitty amps) into clipping/distortion and after a while the sub goes or the amp does, usually the sub.

I never said straight underpowering them will kill the sub, its a combo of being under powered and wanting more when it cant do more that kills them.

Guest MegaloManiac

I do agree that under powering a sub will eventually kill it, and the reason I agree is because people tend to push things past thier limits, wanting it just a tad bit louder than what it is = driving any amp (not just shitty amps) into clipping/distortion and after a while the sub goes or the amp does, usually the sub.

I never said straight underpowering them will kill the sub, its a combo of being under powered and wanting more when it cant do more that kills them.

wow wow wow

you said you 100% agree with roscoe? what happend?

why why not just say what ya think ya gotta say.

By the way I 100% agree with roscoe.

roscoe said he was giving a clean unclipped signal in a proper box to the xxx from and rft3k.

We are discussing it via pm but I will post what I said here:

Tell me Y I blew one of My xxx's in a damn near perfect box, Unclipped (checked the amp with an O-scope loaded and unloaded) with only 1700 watts? The box was 9 cubes b4 displacement the first port was3x19x7, second one was 5x19x9. I also said that greg from RE (the shops rep) said it was a power issue and he said that if the subs require a minimum of 2k on the power side. I have been doing this a while but if you can tell me please let me know.

and now you are saying that if a sub is getting a clipped signal then it will get killed....Isnt that what i have been saying all along?

you are now backtracking... :blink:

I agree with this, it comes back to user error and clipped signal not the amount of wattage the woofer sees and has the abilitly to handle.
crxsilogozz5.gif

but in your definition itself it is the clipping not the underpowering which is doing the damage.

on the roscoe tip, i truely believe he had a bad sub or something

I should have been more clearer earlier, maybee I misread dunno.

but yes thats exactly what I mean.

I dont like to underpower any speaker I try hard to match my speaker rms to my amps rms I would rather overpower than underpower, becuase its to easy to drive the amp into a clipped state when underpowered.

IMO 1700 watts of true clean power should not have killed that sub, bad sub?? maybee dunno? no one will every really know.

Archived