Sonic Electronix

Alright well im still fairly new to this so i'll try to explain it to you the best that i can, basicly it's when your amp starts to push dirty power into your sub causing it to clip. It can hurt your amp as well as your sub.Usually it occurs when you try to push your amp to hard or above what it can produce amps usually have a certain amount of power they can push out that's "Clean" power you start to clip when you go above that the only way you can tell if you are going above it or not is to get an oscope or smd dd1, ifyou have your gains cranked all the way this could also be a problem.. If anyone else has a better defenition please go right ahead, still learning as well :P Also there is a tool called an o-scope or the SMD DD1 the smd detects distortion before you start to clip, so you can set your gains and find the max volume on your head unit without clipping. Here is a site to help you out mate http://www.caraudiocentral.net/forums/showthread.php?11863-What-is-quot-clipping-quot it's basicly what i said just in english :P

Edited by TheNewbie

Check out my build log:

http://www.stevemead...60#entry1958353

Different folks have different strokes.

Yeah there is a list of reasons that can cause clipping bro. I can't name them all im still a starter as well, but that link i posted will tell you all the different reasons. I don't think the sub would have TORN because of clipping, maybe blew. But it's possible i guess.

Check out my build log:

http://www.stevemead...60#entry1958353

Different folks have different strokes.

i had my gain barely past half so would it actually still destroy the subs?

if its not set with a scope, you still could have been clipping...also, the clipping can go all the way back to the song your playing.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

Basic Car Audio and Electronic's Website

i had my gain barely past half so would it actually still destroy the subs?

That all depends on the preouts of your head unit. Just b/c your gain is all the way down, doesn't mean that your subs aren't getting all the power, and the gain halfway up doesn't mean you are getting half the power. The higher your preout voltage is, the less gain it will take to get a full range of power. But, judging by your budget of L7 subs, your HU is most likely a 2v or 4v preout, therefore 1/2 gain should be fine...theoretically. Heres it explained in easier terms. Clipping can occur in different places besides your amp though. Lets start with you audio track itself. You must make sure (I use audacity) to make sure that the track you are playing isn't clipped itself. If it is, find another copy or fix it. Okay, then you must find where your HU clips, as it is the next thing inline to your subs. Most HU's clip at 3/4 power, and if you don't have an 0-scope, this is usually rule of thumb. So, lets say your HU clips at 75%. Where you set your gain on the amp determines at which volume levels your subs will be recieving all the power your amp is capable of making. For instance, if your gain is completely up, then you could clip at 10% volume...which means your mids/highs will be barely audible, and your subs will clip, leading to imminent premature failure. Lets say your gain is at 1/4 turn...then its possible for you to start clipping at about 85% volume. Now, if your HU clips at 75%, then if you turn it up to get full power from your subs, you will be clipping your mids/highs causing imminent failure on your door speakers. So, you have to find that sweet spot where your subs are recieving full power while not overpowering your mids/highs. For an easy to read/understand full rundown of this, go to Basic Car Audio and Electronic's Website. Over on the right side of the screen, you will see a collumn. Scroll down to number 63. Gain Controls. Take some time to read it if you are really interested in finding out how these work. They have alot of other useful shit on their site too. Bookmark it.

mivtCK.png

if its not set with a scope, you still could have been clipping...also, the clipping can go all the way back to the song your playing.

^^^Haha...i was typing this in my Long Ass Explination at the same time you were. Always check your track on audacity before putting into any sound system that costs more than the medium the track is saved too.

mivtCK.png