my transmission on my Honda has been getting continually worse. daily driving through neighborhoods has become rough with the amount of push and pull in and out of gears. I'm pretty sure its probably gonna go within the coming months.

that being said, I can get a hold of a used JDM transmission for cheap down in Jersey (same place I picked up my accord's transmission) but I don't really trust that whole "it's from Japan so it must only have 35-40k miles on it" rumor. so I was thinking of picking up a complete trans rebuild kit and doing it myself.

Only thing is, I have never rebuilt a trans before. Ive done a lot of work to the car, and this project will be about a 500 dollar investment, (trans is only 200 bucks and the kit is 275) for starters, but I don't have the facility or resources to actually replace it, so Id have to pay a shop to do that.

So in short, I'm wondering how extensive it is to rebuild an Auto Trans and if I would need any specialty tools to do it. I can be very diligent with my projects and it doesn't have to be a rush. something I could do on weekends and take as much time needed. any info would be great :good:

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

just wondering bump :pardon:

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

special tools, not so much. at most a speed wrench or air ratchet comes in handy. when you pull it all apart, lay it out in order, or it will be fun putting it back together again, especialy if this is the first tranny you have rebuilt. im almost positive you dont need special tools tho. i cant remember tho, it has been a while since i have done any real tranny work.

if you just take your time and carefuly observe everything as you take it apart you should be ok, hell i remember when i pulled my first transmission apart i had a camera and was taking pictures as i pulled each piece off. when i got it all apart i ran down to the local wal mart and had the roll of film developed and i was good to go. yea taking pictures is a good idea, it helps A LOT.

im sure JAM customs will pop in here at some time and correct me if i am wrong, he is always browsing this part of the forum.

i do wish you the best of luck with the rebuild tho. like i said, just take your time, it realy isnt hard work.

This page is crispy_chick3n approved.

© crispy_chick3n inc

special tools, not so much. at most a speed wrench or air ratchet comes in handy. when you pull it all apart, lay it out in order, or it will be fun putting it back together again, especialy if this is the first tranny you have rebuilt. im almost positive you dont need special tools tho. i cant remember tho, it has been a while since i have done any real tranny work.

if you just take your time and carefuly observe everything as you take it apart you should be ok, hell i remember when i pulled my first transmission apart i had a camera and was taking pictures as i pulled each piece off. when i got it all apart i ran down to the local wal mart and had the roll of film developed and i was good to go. yea taking pictures is a good idea, it helps A LOT.

im sure JAM customs will pop in here at some time and correct me if i am wrong, he is always browsing this part of the forum.

i do wish you the best of luck with the rebuild tho. like i said, just take your time, it realy isnt hard work.

thanks man. Using a camera is a really good idea. and by specialty tools I meant more towards seal pullers, those weird looking pliers, stuff like that. hell maybe I can get it done in 1 weekend if Im that concentrated. guess I can't really have a couple beers while doing this one :drink40:

Once you pull it apart you will see thhats its not gonna be to hard to rebuild. If i wer u i wud use raybestos clutches and replace all syncros. I dont think there are any specialty tools needed i dont remeber any. Look up torque specs to make sure your tranny wont fall apart. Have fun!!

Fuck warning points.

also invest in some "Dr. tranny's assembly goo" it makes reassembly so much easier. just dont put it on the clutch packs. a co-worker of mine did that, lets just say he didnt work here long.

looks something like this.

assemblee-goo_productG1__09170_thumb.jpg

This page is crispy_chick3n approved.

© crispy_chick3n inc

Ill have to talk to the guys at Trans Specialties (where Im gonna be ordering the rebuild kit) and see exactly what it comes with. last thing I want to do is have it all torn apart and find something that I don't know what the hell it is haha. and Ill have to remember that goop stuff.

and it looks like this project just gained 100 bucks cuz thats how much they want for the trans now. <_<