06 Civic Build - New Build List on page 60

Thanks! I'm going to continue to build this thing, but some stuff is gonna be held up until my sales get done. New equipment is coming when that happens and at that time the details can get re laid! Until then I'll do what I can for the basics. I have a plan in mind now of what the new stuff is and where it'll go, I just have to get it now. I'm still going with 5 amps, but they're waaay smaller. I'll be doing 2 1k amps and 3 4ch amps. I need one of each to do mock ups and at that point my build can go forward.

Yes I just quoted myself, but for this reason. I forgot to mention earlier I'm not going through with this. I have lots of reasons for both, but I decided in the end that I'm just going to stick to my original plan as far as the amps go. I am 100% going forward with the Ipad customization though. I have a couple of questions regarding hook ups etc, but I've got emails out and I'm hoping to hear back on those to get a better understanding on what's going to happen and what I'm going to need.

So the original Audison LRx amps will stay and the Ipad in dash is going to happen. I do have a for sale thread up, please check it out and let me know if you're interested in anything there.

Ok so here's the latest on the tablet design. I'm doing a lot of research on this as I want to make sure I make the right decision the first time and not have to do it over again.

So the reviews I'm reading on tablets combined with my current situation have led me to these two options. First is the Apple Ipad2. Second is the Samsung Galaxy 10.1.

I was originally going to go with the Ipad2, cause that's what I've seen done mostly. I've been speaking with a friend who works with Apple about the Ipad and getting info on it and stuff like that. He states that I can tether any phone to the Ipad. That’s fine. However, from what I’m reading, everything is stating that it’s way easier and better if you tether from a corresponding phone. Meaning Iphone to Ipad, Android to Android (in this case Samsung Galaxy S Phone to Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tablet.) I state this, because I don’t want to incur anymore monthly charges, so I’ll be tethering whatever it is I get to my phone. Let me explain that, cause some of you may be scratching your heads cause it might not make much sense.

My wife and I are currently with T-Mobile and have, up until recently, spoken about leaving T-Mobile and going to Verizon. There’s a couple of reasons. First we get terrible signal service with T-Mobile where we are the most, work and home, and my mother in law who's on our plan as well get's zero service at her house. She just turns off the phone now cause it's worthless trying to get a signal. As do we have the same problems when we're at her house. Even looking at T-Mobiles website coverage maps and typing in our address’s we’re supposed to be receiving excellent coverage where we are and don’t by any means. Very frustrating at times!

That being said we've had spotty service in those places with our previous Verizon service as well. Now I think that was several years ago and I'm sure they've got better signal since then. I even checked their coverage pages and they say the same thing. Excellent coverage in these areas. So that brings me back to my original story.

If we decide to move from T-Mobile to Verizon, we'll almost definitely get Iphones. If that happens I'll most likely get an Ipad2. If we stay at T-Mobile then we're probably going to go with the Samsung Galaxy S phones. If that happens then I'll most likely get the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tablet. I'm leaning to staying at T-Mobile, for this reason if no other at all. When we got our plans several years ago we signed up, when the texting craze was starting to boom, for unlimited data. So we get unlimited internet, texting, photo sending, and any other data form you can think of. If we leave T-Mobile then I loose that and we won't get it back cause T-Mobile is the only carrier, IIRC, that hasn't booted their existing unlimited data users from those plans. Until that happens I almost think that it's silly to leave. So considering the fact that I’m going to tether the tablet to the phone it almost makes no sense to leave at all. Does it all make sense to you all now?

Here's why: if I get a tablet I don't see the reasoning to spend the money for the internet all the time one (I think it's the WiFi + 3G version) cause I have the phone to tether it off of. If I'm tethering off my phone I'm using that data and I have unlimited and don't have to worry about it. I do a lot in my car and would be using it a lot as I do now. Pandora, music, facebook (only in stopped traffic of course ;) ) movies (I don't know if I can get Netflix with droid but I think I could). So there's alot going on there.

Now lets move onto the actual tablet and hook up.

The only problem I'm thinking I may have is, I may have to just simply do away with the rear monitors for the kids in back. That's not going to make them or me happy. I cannot seem to find a way, however, to get a good signal from the tablet to the Bit One, as well as have a video signal to the rear monitors. Let me explain.

In the soundman.com installs on the Ipad here, they use a piece called an iStreamer which is seeming to be specifically for the Ipad/Ipod. That seems to take care of the audio for the unit, with a better DAC than the Ipad has on board. However I have no way to get video out of the Ipad into the monitors in back. I can use a piece called the Scoche Sneekpeek cable but by using that I loose the external DAC and the better sound, according to the guys over there at soundman.

If I go with the Ipad and just do away with the video monitors in back, then the hook up will go something like this.

Ipad - dock/90 degree pass thru/or extender (depending on what way it's going to slide in.) - iStreamer w/ Ipad car charger - Bit One via RCA's - amps. The turn on will come from the rca signal to the bit one to the amps.

If I go with the Ipad and keep the monitors, then I'll loose the DAC and the install will go like this (to my understanding anyway).

Ipad - dock/90 degree pass thru/or extender (depending on what way it's going to slide in.) - Scoche Sneekpeek cables - Bit One via audio / monitors via video - amps.

Given that I'm not really going to be competing much, if at all, should I be worried about an external DAC? I'm not sure. I'm thinking that if I went without it, worst case scenario, I would have to put it in. I don't see that as a huge deal. But 200.00 is a lot to just get and not need. I will say the more and more I listen to music in different cars, good and bad, I'm getting more accustomed to quality of music. I'll have to take that into account when making my decision here.

CHECK ALL THAT!!! I just found this on the Apple store (Apple Composite AV Cable) and it may allow me to retain the rear monitors. If I’m thinking this correctly, I can use the 30 pin into the Ipad, the composite RCA’s will go to the monitors, to allow the headphones via the L/R audio and then the video out to the video of the monitors. Did you guys get that. Then the USB cable will go to the iStreamer to get the better sound to the Bit One. Anyone see any problems with that? Please speak up if you see problems.

Moving on!

Everything gets complicated if I go with the Samsung Galaxy Tablet. I'm still researching how I can even get a signal out of that to the Bit One, if there's a DAC that's compatible for it, if there's a video ability, and things like that.

If anyone has any links for the Galaxy Tablet on a full on setup like what Soundman has on the Ipad, I'd greatly appreciate them.

There's the latest info! I may add to this later, but I'll let you guys know if I do. I'm very excited about this, I just want to make sure it works well before I start buying stuff.

I'm leaning toward the Galaxy Tablet (of course cause I can't seem to do anything easily) but mainly because I like to not go with the grain. Everyone seems to be doing Ipads, but I would enjoy to do something different. I'm reading reviews on both tablets and the Galaxy is getting pretty rave reviews. I know everyone is hung up on the Ipad2 and I've been with it as well. I've played around with my sister in laws Ipad and I do like the way it feels. I have yet to play around with a Galaxy but I will be doing that very very soon to compare. Of course if that plan with the video out on the iPad will work, I may just go back to that. Might just elevate everything I just discussed!

I think that's about it right now. I’m anxiously awaiting any comments, suggestions, links, and whatever else!

Ok so I think I might have found a way around the video out issues. I'm going to run through my idea for the set up using links etc. so try to follow along. Hopefully you guys can help me with if this will or will not work.

Ok so using the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 Tablet I'm wanting to do the custom in dash set up. I'll do this with fiberglass and the Galaxy 10.1 Tab Multi-Media Dock and integrate it into the fiberglass pan. I don't know what the internals of this docking station looks like but I have to think, if you look at the gallery, that all the internal parts (i.e. boards etc) are residing in the box in the back. If that's the case, no pun intended, then I'll hack it out and mold it into the fiberglass pan.

From there to get my signal I'll utilize the Galaxy Tab Adapter (HDTV) for the output. This adapter has an HDMI output on the end of it, and if you go into the gallery in the link and zoom in, you'll see on the second picture it has a second port out for the 30 pin connector. I'll get to that in a moment.

From the HDMI output I'll need to break that signal up and turn it into a composite signal (RCA's R/L and Video). I can do this with this a module/converter I think. This is the converter I found called the Monoprice HDMI to VGA & R/L Stereo Audio Converter. I can get a universal car charger and hard wire it to power it up.

Out of the HDMI converter I can use the audio outputs L/R and run those to the Bit One Processor. For the video I'd use a VGA to S-Video/RCA (Composite) Adapter Cable and run a video cable from the RCA (yellow) to the head rest monitors. To get the audio to the head rest monitors for the IR headphones I can use a 3.5mm Stereo Male To 2X RCA Female Adapter out of the 3.5mm jack in the dock and run RCA's to the monitors audio inputs.

Back at the Galaxy Tab Adapter. I was talking about a second 30 pin port. This port will house the Galaxy Tab™ 30-pin Vehicle Power Adapter with Detachable Cable. The charger, again, will be hard wired to an ignition source so it's not an always on thing and that will take care of charging the Galaxy.

I think that about covers everything! I know it's alot to hook up, but honestly it's ok with me, as long as I get the end result I'm looking for which is a good audio signal to the bit one processor, and video out to the head rest monitors.

So can anyone out there tell me if they think this will work or not. And if not, can you please help me to understand why it wouldn't work please? Thanks! I'm very excited if this is going to work cause this will put me one step closer to starting this project!

Me either. Thus far I've got no reason to believe this plan won't work. If that's the case I'm happy cause it will give me options for both tablets. And as soon as I know what we're doing as far as carriers, then I'll be moving on the install! I mean this isn't going to stop the install currently, but I just mean that part of it.

I'm going to start designing the rear under deck drawer. In the meantime, I'm going to redo the door for the component rack and then start laying out the wiring of the system.

Stay tuned all!

Oh I'm staying tuned. I won't have much input in this thread though, because I will be sitting back in awe :)

My name is AdamThis is my Civic Build.7" Samsung Tab 2Kenwood KDC-X896Clarion EQS746Sundown X-15DC 3.5k @2ohmHatersGonnaHate's 02 Civic UBLELD Bypass for Honda Civic/Accord/FitDon's Jeep Grand Cherokee Rebuild

N8ball2013 - i think you'd stick your dick in a blender if it told you it was 40 wtih two kids your age. lol

srp365 - If posting were picking up bitches, I'd be going home single tonight

looks like tony montana sneezed in your car.

VbjgkeI.jpg

kNsESzw.jpg

Ok I think that's it. I think I've got it now. I've been searching some of the sites for tablets etc and found a lot of great answers and info on this stuff. So I'm about 99% on either of these layouts.

Here's the first one. It's the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet, going into a docking station. I need to actually change this one, cause the dock is getting modded. The Galaxy 7, previous version, docking station has an HDMI port out and that's the only difference between the two, aside of the fact that it's only 7" wide and not 10" but that may not matter once I hack it all up. Anyway, that dock with the HDMI port will eliminate the extra adapter. Anyway, here's the first version of the layout with the Gefen HDMI to Composite Converter.

TabletSetUpwithGefenModule-1.jpg

Now I'm not sure yet if I can just use that Coax Digital Signal or if the Toslink Optical is the best. Or will I even notice at that point? But, here's the option to go to the toslink optical connection. This is with Gefen GTV-DIGAUDT-141.

TabletSetUpwithGefenModuleandGefenToslinkModule.jpg

Then I found another module, which gives me the same "all in one" module ability. However to get the video out of it I need a couple of adapters to go from HDMI to VGA, then to composite. That just seems like a lot. However it's significantly cheaper, like by 150.00, than the first one. Really it's more like $225.00 cheaper if I go with the toslink adapter cause that's 75.00 alone. So anyway, here's that one, it's the Octava HDMI Audio Converter.

TabletSetUpwithOctavaModule.jpg

So I'm leaning towards the first option, I think it gives me the best ability of all in one. If there isn't that much difference between the coax digital and toslink optical signals, then I'd much rather go that route and be done with one box.

So big things happening here, even though there isn't anything to post picture wise.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this? Please feel free to speak up. Thanks for tuning in!

Oh Edit: I measured my dash last night and I'm thinking the 10.1 might be a little tight in there. So I'm going to make a couple mock ups for it and see how it can sit etc. But, the Samsung Galaxy 8.9 should be releasing very very soon here, and if so that might be ideal for me if I can't get the 10.1 to fit nicely. Something else to consider. I think that 10.1 inches of screen in the dash would be orgasmic, but I also don't want it to look like crap. So I'll have to find a medium. Maybe I'll go use my step brothers ipad2 and put it up there and see what it'll look like.

Ok, just got a little present from the UPS guy!

Oddly shaped brown box.

IMG00607-20110815-1440.jpg

Let's see who it's from!

IMG00608-20110815-1440.jpg

Oh now I'm interested!

Yay computer paper! What I always wanted............oh wait there's more!

IMG00609-20110815-1441.jpg

IMG00610-20110815-1441.jpg

Little pink bubble wrapped package.

IMG00611-20110815-1442.jpg

OH YA! NOW WE'RE IN BUSINESS! The sad thing is, I'm not excited for me, I'm more excited cause my girls are gonna be happy! HA!

IMG00612-20110815-1442.jpg

IMG00613-20110815-1443.jpg

IMG00614-20110815-1443.jpg

So I guess tonight I'll go get the bad one and see if I can get it taken apart and replace this thing!

Been a pretty productive day I think! Figured out a wiring schematic for the tablet, got my screen, if I could just not have to work anymore, I'd be ecstatic!!!

Archived