06 Civic Build - New Build List on page 60

Its a hertz high energy hx300d 12" sub. Do you have a size to recommend that it should be?

I dont know. ha i haven't designed many 4th orders but i have built a couple and the one thing i have learned is that they are big. haha... Both sides could be a little bigger. I would recommend about .75 sealed and 1.5 ported after displacement. And 15 square inches of port is good. tune it around 45-46 and you should be happy.

2 DC 12" lvl 4s

1 DC 1.2k

XS Power S3400

big 3

Alll KNU wire

Pioneer HU

cheapo Legacy coaxes (just for now)

dc-audio-you-should-get-there-is-no-try-just-do-thumb-1.jpg

I don't think 45 hertz is unreasonable for a 4th order. On the flip side... Tuning on the low side will never hurt you if all you're trying to do is find the sound you're looking for. It is easier to take some length off the port than it is to add some length to the port.

I like what you got going scooter. With a small box, higher tuning makes sense to me. The box you have designed is pretty small. You could almost double the volume of the entire box. The box might be a little small but you'll be alright... Doubt you're going to hurt a subwoofer because the box is too small. Worst that can happen is the output isn't what you expected. By the second or third box... You'll know what works and what doesn't. Get your feet wet! Build it ASAP!

EDIT: Your approach for the port will be the most time consuming part of your box.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=268-352

EDIT 2: I sketched up my quick idea for you.

Don't hate on the 5 min sketchup.

scooter1i.jpg

scooter2k.jpg

Seal the port (that enters the box) with a bead of caulking. Fasten the edge of your aeroport to a piece of mdf or birch that overlaps the edges of your ski hole cutout by 1" all the way around. Screw that into the ski hole cutout.

In other words....

scooter3.jpg

scooter4.jpg

The dimensions were a total guess. I just wanted to put the picture that I had in my head on paper so that I could bounce the idea off of you. The box can be up to 30" wide. But the depth will have to change from ~2' to 14" or so. Without that plexi window, the sub doesn't have to be centered in the box and the port can fall where it falls, at least 4" away from everything in all directions. All I'm trying to do is put a simple idea in your head. If you are trying to keep your box on one side of your trunk... How do you cover up the other side and make it look normal?

scooter5.jpg

Ok so here's what I've got. I've got a plan to get it all in, and make the entire enclosure just short of 3 cuft at 2.97cuft. Port is including the 4" aero port, at 4" = 40.56hz, 5" = 37.89hz, and 6" = 40.56hz.

I'm going to go sketch up my idea and I'll be back! I'm gonna get this to work GOD DAMN IT! Those numbers sound better to everyone? I'm also going to have 800watts at 2ohms available btw. We'll see what we can do with this!

I'll be back in a while!

Ok so here's what I've got. I've got a plan to get it all in, and make the entire enclosure just short of 3 cuft at 2.97cuft. Port is including the 4" aero port, at 4" = 40.56hz, 5" = 37.89hz, and 6" = 40.56hz.

I'm going to go sketch up my idea and I'll be back! I'm gonna get this to work GOD DAMN IT! Those numbers sound better to everyone? I'm also going to have 800watts at 2ohms available btw. We'll see what we can do with this!

I'll be back in a while!

3 Sounds good. 3.5 sounds better. 2 Cubes Net in the ported, 1 cube net in the sealed.

Ok guys here we go. This is about as close as I can get it. I could maybe squeeze more out from the side, but I'm about out of ideas. This is even going up 1 1/2" more inches than I think I can go. I'm going up to 16" from 14 1/2" and I'm not sure if I can squeeze that out or not. I might be able to swing it but I'll have to check later.

So this plan gives me 1.25 sealed, and 1.94 ported with a port of 4" wide and 4" long (aero).

Here we go.

Without numbers straight on:

NewFinal4thOrderFront.jpg

With numbers straight on:

NewFinal4thOrderwithnumbersfront.jpg

Without numbers rear:

NewFinal4thOrderrear.jpg

With numbers rear:

NewFinal4thOrderwithnumbersrear.jpg

Without numbers side:

NewFinal4thOrderSide.jpg

With numbers side:

NewFinal4thOrderwithnumbersside.jpg

So that's about it now. I could adjust a little bit on the baffle separating the sealed and ported to lessen the sealed and expand the ported I guess. But other than that, the void behind the amp rack is only about 5" and I need room to make sure I can get my fat hand in there and run wires etc.

I can still put the LRx 2.9 and 2.4 in the drawer like I originally planed and then the LRx 4.1k can just stay on the trunk lid as planned.

What do you guys think now?

I'll put a beauty panel over the front of everything, this was just the rough drawing of it. I wish I could make both the LRx 1.1k and 2.9 fit in there one on top of the other, but there just isn't enough room for it. I'll figure something out for it all.

Archived