06 Civic Build - New Build List on page 60

Making some pretty good progress today. Had some setbacks with designs, but I powered through and I'm making headway for sure. I'll have pics uploaded tonight.

I will say I'm making some equipment changes, at least I'm about 99% sure I am anyway. I'll keep you guys posted as things happen.

Tomorrow, I've decided, I'm gonna post up a HUGE for sale thread. I know, I know, again. But aside of the Ipad modification, and needing money for that, I'm changing amps now. Reasons; cause I'm gonna go down to 4 amps from 5 amps, and saving some money in the long run. I'm going to run the new Hertz High Power Digital Amps. These things are sick looking, powerful, and small. A great combination in my book. Now I'll be all Hertz, with exception of the Bit One. Sure wish they'd jump on the Processor band wagon, I'm sure i'm not the only one thinking this! Anyway, I'll be going from the LRx line (two 1.1k's, 2.9, 4.1k, 2.4) to the Hertz HPD1, two HPD4's, and I'm gonna try to pick up an EP2x but I'm told that they're not selling those anymore. I just hate the looks of the HP line. They're hideous in my opinion. But that's my opinion. I wonder if I could get away with painting one. We'll see what I do. Maybe I'll just do away with the rear fill and stick with IR head phones for the rear movie monitors, and then I won't need another amp. Still deciding on that one. Things are changing. But the build continues on.

Give me a few minutes, and I'll post the latest pictures from today. I have to go read stories with my girls! It's past bed time, for them and me! LMAO!

Be back in a few!

Ok so here's today's update!

I started out with the floor. I needed to create a base for everything to sit on. At some point in the build I'll cut it out so that the spare tire is accessible. For now I'll leave it the way it is.

If you will recall, a while ago, I made some foam templates. I simply removed those from the trunk now, and transferred them to the MDF. Speaking of MDF, did somebody say WOOD!!??!!

2 sheets of 1/2" MDF and 2 sheets of 3/4" MDF:

DSC04082.jpg

DSC04083.jpg

DSC04084.jpg

Here's the template for the floor.

DSC04085.jpg

Time to cut. Love my trusty Ridgid saw!

DSC04086.jpg

Used the jigsaw to cut out the rest.

DSC04087.jpg

DSC04088.jpg

In the car

DSC04089.jpg

Then added the other pieces.

DSC04090.jpg

DSC04091.jpg

So I needed a way to make it all level. The side pieces weren't sturdy enough to sit level with the main piece on their own, they hang over the drop down on the sides and thus there's not any support for them. So I needed to create some!

DSC04092.jpg

All the supports

DSC04102.jpg

DSC04104.jpg

Sitting flush!

DSC04103.jpg

DSC04105.jpg

DSC04106.jpg

Now that the floor was done, it's time to move on to the first main piece. The component board. The first mock up wasn't going to work. I wanted it so that it would be accessible from behind if I need to add, take out, or make any changes to wiring. Well doing it that way the original mock up I made a while back, wasn't going to work. That's why I used the foam, cause it's cheap and if I need to go a different direction, it doesn't cost me more in wood in the long run!

So now we're onto the next one. Starting with some poster foam board, I started mocking things up again.

DSC04107.jpg

DSC04108.jpg

DSC04109.jpg

DSC04110.jpg

Once I liked what I had, I transferred it to the MDF.

DSC04111.jpg

DSC04112.jpg

This was 3/4" and after playing with this in place a bit, I thought it was a touch thick. I ended up with 1/2" in the end, but didn't waste the 3/4", I used it as well.

DSC04113.jpg

DSC04114.jpg

DSC04117.jpg

Testing it with the seat in place.

DSC04118.jpg

DSC04119.jpg

Someone's been cutting MDF! LMAO!

DSC04120.jpg

So after I cut the panels out, I had to get some strips cut to make a cubby for the components to sit in.

DSC04122.jpg

Before I did everything, I went into eat lunch. When I came back the MDF was in the sun and warped a bit. So I had to get creative to see if I could straighten it out at all. Worked a little.

DSC04123.jpg

DSC04121.jpg

From the front seat view

DSC04143.jpg

DSC04144.jpg

This is the plastic piece that goes in.

DSC04145.jpg

DSC04146.jpg

Here it is with the seats down.

DSC04147.jpg

And the panel door down.

DSC04148.jpg

So there it is. Needs finishing, and some detail touch up. There are a few things that need fixing on it. I'll get a longer piano hinge, cause this one is pretty short. Not really necessary, just one of those things, I'll know about and will drive me nuts. The second thing is, the pass through tunnel doesn't line up very well. I may have to re do the walls and trim it out or something. Lastly, the upper sides. I had some trouble with fitting it in, cause the side walls needed notching. It was getting towards the end of the day, I'd lost track of time, hand't started dinner yet and the area was no where near cleaned up yet. So I just did a quick fix. It look atrocious and needs to be addressed for sure. I may have a quick solution made up already in my head. I'll address it later when it comes time to finish.

So that's it for today. The next thing I'll be addressing is the drawer under the rear deck. That'll be another project for another time. I also need to get some gas actuators for the trunk lid. I was going to do linear actuators and have it all motorized, but I don't think I'm going to go there at this time. Maybe in the future, I don't know. Reason I need to go to the gas actuators is the metal springs that are under the rear deck, need to come out for the rear deck drawer.

Till next time, thanks for tuning in!

Archived