06 Civic Build - New Build List on page 60

Thanks guys! My biggest concern is frying that sub. I honestly don't think I can afford to kill it at this point. I'll keep working at it though.

On a different note, I decided after a long day of my daughters birthday party with a bunch of screaming 5 - 8 year olds, and then having to go out to my mother in laws to drop some stuff off for the finish of that job I've been working on, I needed some much needed Scooter Time! So I started the tablet build! This is going to do a couple of things. First it's going to switch my brain off the enclosure and refresh things a bit, and second it's going to actually get some portion of this build going.

So I picked up some tape tonight, and got out some stuff and the tablet and got to work protecting it.

DSC05030.jpg

Took the cover off of it. It does have the screen protector on it, but it obviously needs more before putting anything else on it, i.e. tape, resin, etc.

Front

DSC05033.jpg

Back

DSC05034.jpg

Not much to describe, other than I put a few layers on.

First layer: Glad Press and Seal. This should protect it from the tape any marks.

DSC05035.jpg

DSC05036.jpg

When all is said and done, the inside of the glass pan will have suede inside of it. This will do a couple of things. It'll help the tablet slide in and out easier, as well as, and more importantly, help to prevent scratches and marks on the tablet from sliding it in and out. So given that I need to account for the thickness of the suede, I decided to get out some scrap suede that I have, and just incorporate it into the protection layers so that in the end, the glass has been done with that thickness accounted for.

DSC05037.jpg

DSC05039.jpg

DSC05040.jpg

Did one for the front and back.

DSC05041.jpg

Then I started taping them on.

DSC05042.jpg

DSC05043.jpg

DSC05044.jpg

Next I got out the foil and wrapped a layer of it on.

DSC05045.jpg

And taped it up.

DSC05046.jpg

DSC05047.jpg

Now, it's time to glass!

DSC05048.jpg

Put down some parchment paper so I wouldn't have to fight getting it off the wood.

DSC05049.jpg

Cut a couple sheets of chop so that they were about an inch bigger than the tablet itself.

DSC05050.jpg

Then, I put the first layer on.

DSC05051.jpg

That's as far as I got tonight. It's pretty cold outside, so I'll leave it overnight and let it do it's thing. Tomorrow I'll get the second layer on and let it sit all day.

That's about it for now. More hopefully tomorrow night!

Lol even though you got it all taped up I bet it still felt kinda wrong putting it on that tablet. lol

Looking good though!

-Ross

Project Layla

Truck: 99' F-150

Gathering things for my next build.

SoloX18 build:

http://www.stevemead..._1#entry1576460

RE T-line build:

http://www.stevemead...-between-build/

Ya I was nervous as hell. I was like "if this leaks through I've basically wasted $600.00"! But after the first brush mark went on I was like F&ck it, I'm in it to win it now! We'll know tomorrow if I've messed up or not!

For now, I have a head ache and I'm off to bed! Goodnight all! :drinks:

Got some more work done this morning!

Pulled the tablet and uncovered it for now.

DSC05054.jpg

After further inspection I discovered some voids on the edges. Those needed to be filled. I wanted a solid edge. That way when I trim it out, I don't have any voids that need to be filled later.

DSC05052.jpg

DSC05053.jpg

So I made a little wall or dam of tape to fill the edges in.

DSC05055.jpg

DSC05056.jpg

Filled

DSC05057.jpg

Much better edges. Not 100% straight, but it'll get covered up with the face plate.

DSC05058.jpg

DSC05059.jpg

Tablet uncovered next to the pan. Still works, whew!

DSC05060.jpg

Time to get a couple more layers on, it's pretty flimsy with one. Couple layers of cloth should do the trick!

DSC05063.jpg

Layer #2 total, Layer #1 of Cloth.

DSC05064.jpg

Layer #3 total, Layer #2 of Cloth.

DSC05065.jpg

One little issue point, but it'll get cut off in the end cause it's on the outside. But here you can see the two layers of cloth.

DSC05066.jpg

So that's pretty much it for the back of the pan. I think after this it should be plenty strong enough. Next step is going to be positioning it on the dash piece, and then getting it cut out. Then getting it into the actual dash and making sure it fits or making adjustments so I can get the face panel done and start the molding process.

Stay tuned, MORE to come!

Thanks. Not sure how long I'll be able to stay with it, busy week, but I'll get more done soon.

Couple of pics with the tablet in it. It is a little big, however, with the suede and some a little work, it'll be fine.

Suede in

DSC05067.jpg

Tablet in.

DSC05068.jpg

DSC05069.jpg

DSC05070.jpg

That's probably going to be about it for the weekend. I'm gonna go out and hang lights with my daughters now.

More to come soon! Stay tuned!

Just spent at least an hour and a half reading this build log.

Absolutely fantastic. Your attention to detail is incredible!

I sent links to a few people to check this build out.

This thing is freaking awesome.

Mobile Electronics Certified Professional (MECP) Certified - Best Buy Autotech Certified

Archived