06 Civic Build - New Build List on page 60

Ok guys, here we go. Didn't get multiple things done today, but I got one thing done and ready to go. I did the ported enclosure for the rear facing sub. This measures about 20" wide, 14.5" tall, and it's a wedge box so the top is 14" deep and the bottom 19" deep. Comes out to about, and I don't have the Torres printout in front of me, but it ends up at about 1.23 cu ft (I think) and tuned at 35hz.

So let's get onto the pics, shall we!

Some tools, the torres printout, and my new phone. Gotta keep up with the forums while I'm working! LOL

DSC05071.jpg

MDF, Ridgid Saw, and Porter Cable Router

DSC05072.jpg

Also picked up a new toy today. Nothing special, but I got a rip fence. This will help with some stuff for sure. I usually use a level, but I thought why not get one of these, since it's what it's made for.

DSC05074.jpg

DSC05075.jpg

Had to make sure and get my angle right, before i start cutting anything.

DSC05076.jpg

For those of you who don't know how to do this, you take your angle finder and get the angle for whatever you're working with, like above.

Take it to the material you need to cut on. Mark the line like so:

DSC05077.jpg

DSC05078.jpg

Take a speed square, I prefer the larger one cause you get more area to work with and make sure the line is correct. The smaller one can sometimes get a little outta whack. Put the point on the line joint, where the line meets the edge of the material. Line it up on the line, and count down your lines on the numbered side where it meets the square edge.

DSC05079.jpg

In this case we've got 22 degrees angle.

DSC05081.jpg

Now go cut some wood! I spared the pictures of the cutting part! Just skipped straight to the pile!

DSC05082.jpg

Next I started screwing sh!t together!

Weapons of choice!

DSC05092.jpg

That's me in case noone's seen me in a while or at all! LOL!

DSC05084.jpg

My 5 year old daughter decided she wanted to help me today. So I grabbed my little Rigid 12v drill, and she started going to town! She put the whole thing together, for the dry run! 5 years old folks! I know adults who can't operate a screw gun correctly! LOVED WATCHING HER DO THIS! MADE ME SO PROUD! Wait, teary moment! Sniffle! Ok I'm back!

DSC05086.jpg

Little blurry pic of her first screw!

DSC05087.jpg

DSC05088.jpg

So proud of her work! Daddy's so proud too!

DSC05089.jpg

Port anyone! 6" x 3.5" x 26"

DSC05091.jpg

Rounded off the square edges!

DSC05093.jpg

Time to glue and screw! I forgot the finished glue and screw pics of this first side! Oops!

DSC05094.jpg

DSC05095.jpg

Pre drilled all holes!

DSC05096.jpg

DSC05097.jpg

DSC05098.jpg

DSC05099.jpg

Time to router out the port! Love me some router action!

DSC05100.jpg

Next I got out the little guy, with the pre home made circle jig on it. I'm gonna get a real one soon. Probably tomorrow. But for a test box, this will work just fine!

DSC05102.jpg

See, told ya! Also rounded over the port edges.

DSC05103.jpg

Man this thing fits like I can't even think of a word to put in here. It's sooooo tight! I had to push on it, not hard, but just a little pressure and it slipped right in...........................hmmmmm this could go very wrong very fast.......LMAO! Well whatever, perfect measurements FTMFW!!!!

DSC05104.jpg

Time to glue and screw! Predrilled the holes!

DSC05105.jpg

Glued!

DSC05106.jpg

And screwed!

DSC05107.jpg

Little peekaboo down the port!

DSC05108.jpg

Couple shots on the table!

DSC05109.jpg

DSC05110.jpg

Now time to fit er in! Now I know there are some fitting issues here, and I'm well aware of it. It's a test box and I wanted to leave it at that. I'll deal with them later on as I get the real box going. However, for testing I'm fine with this.

DSC05111.jpg

Now let me explain what I'm talking about by issues! Right now you're looking down the left side of the enclosure. The enclosure is pushed all the way back to the component wall. Now, as you can see the enclosure is about 2 3/4" away from the side wall there. In the upper corner of the enclosure you'll see or notice that the wall angles up and over. Well that's the issue. What needs to happen is a chunk of the corner of the enclosure needs to be cut out. I need to decide if I'm going to go back with wood to seal it up, or just glass the shat out of it and pour resin in it from the inside and firm it up. I think the latter would be best as it would take up less room that a 3/4" piece of wood.

DSC05116.jpg

Now why is that an issue you ask? Well the reason I cut out the center of the seats, was to create a pass through and allow sound to travel through to the cabin much easier and much more unimpeded. Well that 2 3/4" or close to 3" of gap allows the enclosure to take up more than half of the pass through. If I get that distance back, it will really open it up. As you can see here.

DSC05117.jpg

DSC05118.jpg

I can also put the enclosure on the passenger side, same issue there, and then the cut out angle will take up the enclosure portion instead of the ported portion. Either way it has to happen. Not sure if it matters or not, but it would also put the port in the center. I guess I could just build it the opposite way I did with this one and get the same effect on the driver side. I don't know if it matters or not. I think with what I'm planning to take up the space next to the enclosure, I may just go the enclosure on the passenger side. You'll see in due time!

DSC05119.jpg

Now it's got the wire in, and it's ready for testing!

DSC05120.jpg

I've got a buddy coming over tomorrow, since I have no equipment hooked up and ready, and he's going to hook his amp up and see what we've got! He's running a 600 watt amp, at a 2ohm load, tuned to about 80hz now on an Alpine Type R in a very similar enclosure! His sounds pretty damn nice! And to top it off, it's the same type of car! So why not right! I'm ready to go, just need some power, and he can supply that. I'll report back tomorrow!

That's it for tonight! Tomorrow is a new day! I have to get back to work, at my job, now so I can not work tomorrow! When the boss says, from Hawaii by the way, "we just settled a multi million dollar case and I need you to draw up the paperwork I emailed you tonight", you kind of have to jump on it! So here I am!

Goodnight all! Till tomorrow!

interesting box design, looks good!

Your daughter reminds me of my little sister! She's 8 but she knows how to use tools :)

Ya I was wondering who was going to comment on that first. I originally was going to do port in the center and then wrap it around the back side of the enclosure. But after Effing up the angles on the back side twice, remember it's a wedge box so while the side is square, the back is all angle cut, I decided TO HELL WITH IT, and try it this way! I'm not real happy with the port low like that. It just doesn't look right to me. Remember I'm about looks as well as sounding good. So I may build it again and do it that way and just deal with the headache of the angles and such.

OH, also, I was talking about the other enclosure; sub facing cabin and the port in the pass through, but I've heard from more that a few people who own civics, that they just are hard to make sound good like that. I'm sure Blackened is the exception, but I may not do that at this time. I'm also short on 3/4" mdf, so I don't know if I wanna buy another sheet just to do another enclosure that is getting bad reviews. So we'll see.

Scooter your builds seriously inspire me to do great and pay attention to detail like you do. Some of the stuff you worry about no one will ever see or notice . that is kick ass, im the same way, my mom will say it looks fine and I have to have it perfect! I FCKING LOVE THIS BUILD!!!!!! :yahoo:

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif
Spending money on things I don't need, to impress others I don't know.
At the end of the day for me its about the love of customizing anything and everything to limits or even past reasonable.-SkyHighCarAudio

Nice work today bro, can't wait for you to hear how it sounds! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Me either! Thanks for the Merry Christmas! I hope you and yours had a great day as well!

Scooter your builds seriously inspire me to do great and pay attention to detail like you do. Some of the stuff you worry about no one will ever see or notice . that is kick ass, im the same way, my mom will say it looks fine and I have to have it perfect! I FCKING LOVE THIS BUILD!!!!!! :yahoo:

Thanks bro! I figure if I'm puttin in the work, it'd better damn well look like I imagine it! Even if that means an extra 4 or 5 steps behind the scenes. Cause in the end, it's always a shortcut you can't see that throws the whole thing off.

I'm hoping that the events tomorrow will blow yours and my sox off at the same time! Tomorrow should be a great and big day! :yahoo: Good night everyone!

Archived