they will get extremely warm and barely move if the coils are wired out of phase, seen that happen before a few times

you should have been able to hear the distortion if the tinsels were arcing/it should have sounded terrible

the tinsels are exactly the same as my buddy's AQ HDC3 18 with the new basket

(waiting for phone to send pic to email)

we wired it fine, i couldnt tell i just noticed the warming part. Is your buddy's aq working just fine?

Tinsels look fine, the ring is plastic. I always zip tie my recones like that instead of pushing the lead through the hole on the basket.

I'm wondering if you wired them up wrong, so 1 VC was fighting the other one, seen that happen more then once...

i thought it was metal, i held a magnet to it and it repelled, i could be wrong tho...we wired them at 1 ohm (diagram on 12 volt.com) like we have done with all our systems in the past and never had a problem. I'm not sure whats wrong i just compared it to my 12's tinsels and these look flimsy without that black coating around it, also compared it to the model aq used on their website and their tinsels arch over the basket (leads dont touch basket at all) and its the same way with my 12s, so idk i'm waiting for aq's email reply i called them but i had to send them pics and whatnot

Black 1998 Nissan Maxima
1st Setup: 145.8 DB Outlaw @37 HZ On Music Out Of Trunk
2nd Setup: 147.8 DB @42 HZ On Music Out The Trunk
Current Trunk Build:
153.8 DB Outlaw @ 49 HZ Out the trunk (150.8 DB Sealed)
Team gg.

they will get extremely warm and barely move if the coils are wired out of phase, seen that happen before a few times

you should have been able to hear the distortion if the tinsels were arcing/it should have sounded terrible

the tinsels are exactly the same as my buddy's AQ HDC3 18 with the new basket

(waiting for phone to send pic to email)

we wired it fine, i couldnt tell i just noticed the warming part. Is your buddy's aq working just fine?

Tinsels look fine, the ring is plastic. I always zip tie my recones like that instead of pushing the lead through the hole on the basket.

I'm wondering if you wired them up wrong, so 1 VC was fighting the other one, seen that happen more then once...

i thought it was metal, i held a magnet to it and it repelled, i could be wrong tho...we wired them at 1 ohm (diagram on 12 volt.com) like we have done with all our systems in the past and never had a problem. I'm not sure whats wrong i just compared it to my 12's tinsels and these look flimsy without that black coating around it, also compared it to the model aq used on their website and their tinsels arch over the basket (leads dont touch basket at all) and its the same way with my 12s, so idk i'm waiting for aq's email reply i called them but i had to send them pics and whatnot

More then likely the motor itself was repelling the magnet as the ring is plastic.

The fact it heated/smoked so quickly makes me think it was somehow wired wrong. And as mentioned if the tinsels were arcing on the basket you should see burn marks on them or the basket. I didn't see any of that in the pics.

Hopefully you hear back from AQ pretty soon as I'm interested to see what they have to say. DJ has pretty much seen it all and should have a very good idea of what happened...

they wouldnt have played right at all if they were arcing (touching the metal of the basket) thats a short and the amp should have gone into protect. the edge of the spider barely moves compared to the former joint and im pretty sure the old aq 18s had them lying across the plastic spider ring just like in your pic of the 15s

im not trying to burst a bubble, just saying that the tinsels are fine like that except for maybe a bit more heatshrink would've been nice

(lulz me and strass posting at the same time)

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

they wouldnt have played right at all if they were arcing (touching the metal of the basket) thats a short and the amp should have gone into protect. the edge of the spider barely moves compared to the former joint and im pretty sure the old aq 18s had them lying across the plastic spider ring just like in your pic of the 15s

im not trying to burst a bubble, just saying that the tinsels are fine like that except for maybe a bit more heatshrink would've been nice

brilliant minds think alike and at the same time, but what's OUR excuse :drinks:

Only other thing I can think of is if the VC's were wired up wrong when the sub was built, that's why I suggested testing polarity with a battery...

When I did Jake's wall last year and wired it up around 2am I reversed polarity on 1 VC on 1 sub. Didn't meter worth a crap and got the subs stinky in a hurry, so shit does happen...

brilliant minds think alike and at the same time, but what's OUR excuse :drinks:

Only other thing I can think of is if the VC's were wired up wrong when the sub was built, that's why I suggested testing polarity with a battery...

When I did Jake's wall last year and wired it up around 2am I reversed polarity on 1 VC on 1 sub. Didn't meter worth a crap and got the subs stinky in a hurry, so shit does happen...

:orly3: lol just kidding, you 2 do have good minds, i'm not gonna lie...i wish i read what you 2 posted before i shipped them out...all i gotta do is hope dj's got my back on this one, he did when my spider on my 12 blew a month after i had my subs. Thanks for your help guys means alot. Yea i hear ya decaf, i would think if i wired it wrong i would go into protect, so i hope its something internal and not my fault, and btw are both you and strass coming to dtf show in the 13th of aug?

EDIT: So strass, did dj cover that problem with jake? Did Jake's go into protect?

Black 1998 Nissan Maxima
Current Trunk Build:
Team gg.

well it looked badass while it lasted... hope u get good news

thanks man, hope i hear from them today

Black 1998 Nissan Maxima
Current Trunk Build:
Team gg.

Ok aq basically blamed it on me (improper wiring) after countless times arguing with them, i gave up, in the end, they're taking care of it with some $ coming from my pocket. Anyways, refer to op, i am changing this build completely, i will post info as i get it, yea i wanna run sundown, no more aq, just gonna wait on nightshades to be in stock :)

Black 1998 Nissan Maxima
Current Trunk Build:
Team gg.

Archived