Help with active crossovers, and some other stuff.

So I'm pretty sure I want to go active with my truck (99 4runner) mainly for flexibility. Not being locked down to a specific mid or tweeter. Also I'm able to peice together components for cheaper than buying a set.

My 4runner has stock comps up front, mids down low and tweeter up high on the door panel...

DSCF2133Large.jpg

In the rear its just a single speaker down low...

DSCF2134Large.jpg

My goal is for everything I do to be reversible or not a big deal when I go to sell the truck after ripping out the entire system and putting it back to stock. So... comps will go in the same place as factory. I dont mind making new tweeter pods to replace the factory ones if need be. So rear tweeter location is an issue. There is no factory rear tweeter. I think the the only place I could put them and not have them sound like crap (being to close) to the rear passengers, is somewhere on the D pillar way on the back...

DSCF2135Large.jpg

First question/s...

Will putting the tweeters so far back be very bad? I have heard of time aligning speakers, what would I have to do to make that possible? Can you suggest a better location/solution for the rear tweeter placement? Would you recommend only using a front stage? That way I would only need 1 amp for both mids and highs, and I wouldnt have to worry about the rear tweets.

Second question...

Do I need to buy crossovers like this or would the crossover on my amp be sufficient?

c3184.jpgLink to cossover page.

DSCF2155Large.jpg

Third question...

Assuming I am using front and rear speakers, Is the ability to use the fader something I need to keep?

Edited by toylocost

99 4runner - So far: Alpine PDX4.100 & AQ1200D. Needz speekrz yo.

you need to be able to filter out low and high frequencies for the mids to go active, you can do that different ways. that xover won't allow that. you need a sound processor that has band pass settings.

As far as the tweets go, I personally would find a way to put them under the speakers grills in the stock location over putting them way back in the D-pillars.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

you need to be able to filter out low and high frequencies for the mids to go active, you can do that different ways. that xover won't allow that. you need a sound processor that has band pass settings.

As far as the tweets go, I personally would find a way to put them under the speakers grills in the stock location over putting them way back in the D-pillars.

That makes sense. Are there any processors in the cheaper range that can do what I need or am I better off with passive comps up front and coax's in the rear?

Sounds good. Thats what I will do. Thanks for your help.

Just out of curiosity, are you running an active setup? And if so, what equiptment are you using?

i am not, but I will be soon. I have all the equipment, just don't have it wired yet.

I have RF T1652-s components, RF 3sixty.2, and a RF T400.4 in my car right now. Eventually (hopefully in a couple weeks) I will make the necessary changes (wiring mostly) to get them active, but I just haven't done it yet. Build log is in my sig, check it out!

:drinks:

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

im going to disagree with skippy.

that amp has some great crossovers and it will be able to do your filtering. channel 3/4 has a bandpass option where you set the subsonic and lowpass filter. and channel 1/2's HPF goes all the way up to 4500hz. you wont be winning any SQ comps but it will work just fine as a crossover.

as for time alignment... ya that will need a processor and that will cost a good amount plus they are much more complicated to tune. but you will have more crossover options, time alignment, and an EQ.

back speakers, put in some decent coaxials if you really want some noise back there. just use it as some rear fill, they dont need to be on very loud at all. and at the low volume they should sound decent.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

im going to disagree with skippy.

that amp has some great crossovers and it will be able to do your filtering. channel 3/4 has a bandpass option where you set the subsonic and lowpass filter. and channel 1/2's HPF goes all the way up to 4500hz. you wont be winning any SQ comps but it will work just fine as a crossover.

as for time alignment... ya that will need a processor and that will cost a good amount plus they are much more complicated to tune. but you will have more crossover options, time alignment, and an EQ.

So hypothetically if I wanted to use a processor what would you suggest I use?

back speakers, put in some decent coaxials if you really want some noise back there. just use it as some rear fill, they dont need to be on very loud at all. and at the low volume they should sound decent.

Ok so heres what I got going now. If any of you see anything wrong or something you would change let me know.

Sony HU --> Clarion 7-band EQ -->

AQ 4x90 --> A pair of Eminence Alpha-6Cs and a pair of Vifa aluminium dome tweets.

AQ1200D --> A pair of AQ SDC2.5-10-D4s

An old Sony XM-2540 that I had laying around. Briged to 60rms x 2 @ 4ohm for a pair of 5&1/4 coaxs for the rear. No idea what speaker I want yet. Suggestions?

ditch the sony HU. those mids will have no midbass. the tweeters will probably sound harsh. try to get a 1" tweeter. i dont personally like metal domes but thats up to you.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.