Mechman Alternators

So I FINALLY got my Mechman 220 installed...

After running into a small mounting problem, I finally got it installed! It feels good! Sadly, I've run into another problem.

After having the custom bracket made, I found out that the alternator isn't charging at idle when I'm in any gear other than park. I'm not exactly sure what RPM this alternator begins charging, but only after my mechanic bumped up the idle RPM's in park did the alternator begin to charge. So While I'm driving and in park the alternator charges amazingly well, but while idling in drive or any other gear, the alternator doesn't charge. Now don't get me wrong, the alternator is a BEAST, but it's not reaching it's full potential in my application. While driving and in park I see 14.9+ volts, but all other times the voltage drops down to the resting voltage of the battery.

What I think the problem is relates to the size of my engine. I fear that in drive, my car idles under the charging RPM of the alternator. IIRC, my mechanic said my car drops to about 700 RPMs in drive idling. So could my small engine and it's lack of higher RPM's be the reason why It's not charging? I'm going to call Mechman tomorrow morning to talk to someone and figure out a solution, if any.

The car is a 1992 Toyota Corolla 1.6L 4AFE.

220 amps is pretty big for a 1.6L engine too. Hopefully Eric or Matt sees this! I want this alt to work!

My Channel on YouTube. Check it out for cinematic-style Car Audio videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcSMhtT-rpopJbdybubDgnQ

New 2014 Scion TC 4th Wall Build

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/217173-2014-tc-4th-order-build-3-fi-sp4-15s/

Sounds like you idle under the turn-on voltage for the alternator.

Find out a few things for me-

What is the diameter of your crankshaft pulley?

What is the diameter of your alternator pulley?

What is your idle speed in drive?

The alternator isn't too big for your engine, while it will take more power to turn than your stock unit it's only a couple HP more.

Best thing to do is email me, I can work faster from email than on the forums.

-Eric.