Sonic Electronix

Should I make the change? Ported box to sealed....

So here is the current dilemma...

I have a 3.8^ft box, tuned to 32 hz per specs for my Memphis mojo quad 1 ohm cm15q1... And it sounds great but...

I want some trunk space. It literally takes my entire trunk up. It is plenty loud, so losing a few db's aren't gonna make me cry.

But should I go sealed? I am thinking of doing a 2.5^ft box. Now my current box is double 3/4" mdf all around and weighs a shit ton. I'd like to shed a lot of weight in the process here.....

So will this make my system sound like shit? I listen to everything from rap to oldies on a daily basis...

I've never done a sealed enclosure in my 13+ years in the car audio field (I've built them for customers but never used one for my own setup)

Has anyone else made the switch? Will I lose a ton of sound?

It's getting a full power audioque 2200d @ 14.5v and loving it currently.... Will a sealed box effect power handling?

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

To be perfectly honest, I have good electrical, nice power, and anything under 34 hz sounds like bear farts. So if I lose some real low tuning mi wouldn't care at all.

Does it greatly effect the power handling capability of my sub?

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

If anything under 34Hz sounds like beer farts then your box is built all wrong...

Going sealed generally gives you more mechanical power handling as your sub is less inclined to bottom out. This is the trade for low end extension, and in my experience the sound gets muddier with a sealed box over the same driver in a vented enclosure when you start to push it hard.

just my .02 :shrug:

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

If anything under 34Hz sounds like beer farts then your box is built all wrong...

Going sealed generally gives you more mechanical power handling as your sub is less inclined to bottom out. This is the trade for low end extension, and in my experience the sound gets muddier with a sealed box over the same driver in a vented enclosure when you start to push it hard.

just my .02 :shrug:

Yea I have double checked the measurements for the port and my tuning should be spot on 32hz. But when it gets under that point or there about its sounds like bear farts seriously.

I was thinking a sealed enclosure would make a punchier response, and less chance of unloading... maybe im wrong?

That is correct i would think so, if i remember right you would have less box rise in a seal enclosure. Maybe think about building the new box out of birch for weight loss.

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

Thanks for the tip on the birch.

The current box alone weighs in well over 125 lbs. Now the mojo isnt a light sub so I know I am pushing near 200-225 lbs back there.

Can the birch be painted like mdf?