Sundown Audio

Amplifier help

Hi guys I have a problem and I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight.

I have a kove armageddon 15 which is rated at 1050 watts rms hooked up to a rockford bd1000.1 (birthsheet says 1127 @ 2 ohms)

It seems like no matter where my gain is set the coils heat up like crazy, sometimes so hot you can barely touch the dustcap. I don't have any equipment for setting gains but I have tried setting the gain by ear with no boost, with subwoofer setting on HU on full tilt, with subwoofer on 0 and bass knob full tilt, and with both full tilt. It seemed to be the loudest with no bassknob and subwoofer set at 15, however, no matter what setting I use the coils get hot as hell. Could it be a problem with the amp or head unit or possibly wiring? (the sub is wired right I mean wiring in the car) I have yet to upgrade my big 3 so I was wondering if maybe it was sending a clipped signal because my cars electrical isn't giving it enough power.

I would just like to know where to start in trying to identify and correct this problem, any insight would be very much appreciated.

Well if you cranked your head unit to full tilt, even if your gain was 1/32 the way turned up, your still gonna clip.

You must FIRST find out where your head unit clips, and not turn it past that. THEN you can proceed to tune your gains.

3d7304fe.jpg

1/0 Power Wire All Around + Big 3 - $140

Rockford Fosgate T2500-1BD - MSRP $1800

(4) Memphis M3 10" Subwoofers 1600watts $300ea. = $1200

XS D6500 $245.65

PIONEER AVH-P5200DVD 7" Head Unit = $430

Soundstream SC-6T Component 6.5" FRONT $60

Pioneer TS-A1673R 6.5" REAR $85

A Bangin system! = PRICELESS!

Well if you cranked your head unit to full tilt, even if your gain was 1/32 the way turned up, your still gonna clip.

You must FIRST find out where your head unit clips, and not turn it past that. THEN you can proceed to tune your gains.

Yeah sorry I forgot to mention that I knew that info already :P my HU clips at 28 and I set my gains at 26, so that isn't the problem. Thank you for trying to help though! :drinks:

Yeah sorry I forgot to mention that I knew that info already :P my HU clips at 28 and I set my gains at 26, so that isn't the problem. Thank you for trying to help though! :drinks:

Ah, ok, well, I dont really want to sit here and type for 10 minutes, but I would check all your wiring up to the sub terminals to make sure nothing is shorting out. Make sure all connections are secure.

What gauge Power and Ground wire are you using for your amp? Just to get this question out there since I know it will be asked.

3d7304fe.jpg

XS D6500 $245.65

Pick up the SMd dd-1 unit and learn how to set your entire system. You are clipping the signal badly if you are heating up the coil that fast

x2 its clipped somewhere. make sure when you adjust everything you have everything at 0 or flat. you dont want no negative eq or anything on the head unit and you dont want anything turned up on the amp.

you say you have the subwoofer setting on 15? im guessing thats max? turn it down to 0 and readjust your gains..your clipping like a mofo on that

3d7304fe.jpg

XS D6500 $245.65

Pick up the SMd dd-1 unit and learn how to set your entire system. You are clipping the signal badly if you are heating up the coil that fast

x2 its clipped somewhere. make sure when you adjust everything you have everything at 0 or flat. you dont want no negative eq or anything on the head unit and you dont want anything turned up on the amp.

you say you have the subwoofer setting on 15? im guessing thats max? turn it down to 0 and readjust your gains..your clipping like a mofo on that

I have tried setting the gains with it on 0, and it still does the same thing, I am not new to car audio I have been doing this for years but I have never ran into a problem like this, all my eq settings are flat, no bass boost or anything turned on, crossover set at 75 hz, subsonic is on, etc... I'm really at a loss. I am running 4 ga. power/ground wire, 2 100 amp fuses (one by battery one by amp) Ground is fine I would say because it never cuts out or goes into protect. Its grounded to the chassis about 10 inches from the amp. I'm thinking it is probably the electrical in my car, its a 07 honda civic. when I turn it up all my lights are dimming even the illumination on the HU.

I am definitely going to when I get the money, it seems like a very well made product. It doesn't heat up instantly just after a song or two, but it is definitely way hotter than it should be.

I have tried setting the gains with it on 0, and it still does the same thing, I am not new to car audio I have been doing this for years but I have never ran into a problem like this, all my eq settings are flat, no bass boost or anything turned on, crossover set at 75 hz, subsonic is on, etc... I'm really at a loss. I am running 4 ga. power/ground wire, 2 100 amp fuses (one by battery one by amp) Ground is fine I would say because it never cuts out or goes into protect. Its grounded to the chassis about 10 inches from the amp. I'm thinking it is probably the electrical in my car, its a 07 honda civic. when I turn it up all my lights are dimming even the illumination on the HU.

Any chance you checked your voltages...grab a DMM and check the battery voltage with the car off, hopefully you see 12.# then crank the car up and make sure it reads between 13.5-14.4.

3d7304fe.jpg

XS D6500 $245.65

Any chance you checked your voltages...grab a DMM and check the battery voltage with the car off, hopefully you see 12.# then crank the car up and make sure it reads between 13.5-14.4.

I don't have a DMM lying around though :P do you know anywhere that would have one I could use? maybe like auto zone or something?

Edited by VathanaKim