Sundown Audio

2 T40001bd Vs. 4 Zx2500.1

wrathchild281

There are waaaaay too many variables to say that an amp will do 5000 watts if it has a 500 amp fuse.

Oh and those variables should be token care off if your spending that kind of money on a amp. If you dont do the big 3, have a high output alt, and do not have some good audio batteries in your trunk, you are pretty not much worthy of owning that amp.

Steve has his Hoe hooked up good. His amps are not being underpowered by his electrical system, he is giving them every drop of power they need.

You will end up spending more money in the electrical upgrades (batteries, alternators, multiable runs of wire) to run the amp(s) then what the price you paid for the amp. You aint messing with now 1200 watt 4 channel sony amp that is actully only 50wrms...

lol oh my... I understand what your saying, but you gotta work on the facts here, its science.

The basic rule of thumb is 100 amp draw at lets say 14 volts = 1400 watts.

This is not "basic rule of thumb" its ohms law. amperage x voltage = wattage.

You cannot miss the fact that amplifiers do not run at 100% efficiency, with low ohms like 1, they usually run 55-65% efficiency. You also can't take care of certain variables, sure voltage drop and insufficient amperage should already be taken care of. But things like impedance rise, heat and efficiency are not controlled. I would actually like to know what kind of voltage drop Steve now gets with the major electrical upgrade he did. :D

crxsilogozz5.gif

but impedance rise is controllable. It usally comes from when you stick a sub in a huge box, or use to thin of speaker wire. If you are going to be running a larger box then recomended specs say you can a different ohm coil. If and when I ever move on from DD subs, my new company will have a wide veriaty of coil configerations. not either dual 1 dual 2 or dual 4. I want my choices to be quad/dual 4,2,1.5,1,.75,.5 etc.

Ill use the btl line for example. They come in dual 2 or dual 1 ohm configs. That dual 1 or 2 ohm is including mostly all impedance rise. If you look at their site it will state that the dual 1 coils are actully .7 and the dual 2s are 1.5 (before rise).

and as for the ohms law thing... from how you stated that 500 amp fuse doesnt equal 5000 watts, I thought to myself if you dont know something that basic, you would not know about ohms law. no offense but saying basic rule of thumb I would of thought you would of understood easier.

And yes when amps are ran at 1 ohm they are not as effiecent, but the thing is, a class d mono amp that does 1000wrms at 1 ohm is more efficent by a lot then lets say a 2 channel class a/b or a 2 channel high current amp that does 1000wrms at 1 ohm bridged.

And using Mr Meade as an example again, he has 1 of the most perfect situations that you could have. 4 300 amp iraggi alts, 6 (i think) powermaster batteries, multiable runs of 1/0 gauge wiring, and I also think that he said his amps are running at a little below 1 ohm.

Archived