Sundown Audio

Having A Protect Problem

TheInfamousImpala

Good questions ingram. Also one other question is where is the ground located and is there any paint on the metal where it is connected? Just a thought what class amp?

Ground is A Ok...But it seems as if a surge is coming from the power wire..I went to the fuse holder under the hood..and the flicker starts at the wire and it affects the lights in my car :trippy:

does anything else act weird in your car when this happens? or is it only towards your stereo. i saw you said the lights would dim. but that may be because a short is happening somewhere along your system and your alt is trying to keep up with the discharge.

least thats my guess.

Just the lights and Picked up the power wire itself under the hoods and thats where the surge starts...And nothing affects the stereo it plays just fine...

2003 Impala LS

"Under Reconstruction"

Ain't a problem man. Can you hear a poping on any certain wire lead? Maybe a cut in the insulation causing a short? D-Train mentioned the short issue and maybe he is right. You could try putting a fuse at the back of the power wire near the amp to see if you could trace it to a certain wire section? Kinda just goin off the top of my head

- 1997 Chevy Tahoe- Big 3 (1/0)- Dual Autocraft Batts- JVC KD-A315 HU- AQ 2200.1D- 18" AQ HDC3- Box w/ Removable Port (6ft^3 @ 36hz & 6.7ft^3 @ 42hz)- 39' 1/0 & 13' 2/0 Flex-A-Prene

My Selling Feedback

Build Log

Good questions ingram. Also one other question is where is the ground located and is there any paint on the metal where it is connected? Just a thought what class amp?

Ground is A Ok...But it seems as if a surge is coming from the power wire..I went to the fuse holder under the hood..and the flicker starts at the wire and it affects the lights in my car :trippy:

does anything else act weird in your car when this happens? or is it only towards your stereo. i saw you said the lights would dim. but that may be because a short is happening somewhere along your system and your alt is trying to keep up with the discharge.

least thats my guess.

Just the lights and Picked up the power wire itself under the hoods and thats where the surge starts...And nothing affects the stereo it plays just fine...

it seems like its shorting somewhere. possibly a few strands touching something making the power spike for an instant. have you checked to make sure your wire doesnt have any cuts in it? maybe through the gromet in your firewall.

The IrishmanDCSig.jpgCheck out my build hereXL 4th order wall build logIn Progress:alpine cda HU4th order Bandpass2xl 15's1- ab 400.1 (gonna be two hopefully)4- Crescendo 8's2- xts crecendo supertweeters

2 sq super tweetsMb quart 4.125Mechman 270a alt1- xs D27003- xs XP3000

4- odessey pc1700seller feed back threadhttp://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/136418-d-train-13k/

Ain't a problem man. Can you hear a poping on any certain wire lead? Maybe a cut in the insulation causing a short? D-Train mentioned the short issue and maybe he is right. You could try putting a fuse at the back of the power wire near the amp to see if you could trace it to a certain wire section? Kinda just goin off the top of my head

Ill Try that but is sounds sort of difficult as seeing i am new to the whole car audio hobby..Ill Try though..I hope the problem is something small like the wires are touching or something...I have had more problems outta my system than ever....Just replaced the box and my system was stupid loud for 2 days until this happened.

2003 Impala LS

"Under Reconstruction"

Ill Try that but is sounds sort of difficult as seeing i am new to the whole car audio hobby..Ill Try though..I hope the problem is something small like the wires are touching or something...I have had more problems outta my system than ever....Just replaced the box and my system was stupid loud for 2 days until this happened.

well when checking for shorts. just check pinch points along your system. such as the firewall. and kick panel area. i dont know how your wire is run through your vehicle but those are the first places i would check. you could use a voltage meter and check various areas and try to locate the spike directly.

The IrishmanDCSig.jpgCheck out my build hereXL 4th order wall build logIn Progress:alpine cda HU4th order Bandpass2xl 15's1- ab 400.1 (gonna be two hopefully)4- Crescendo 8's2- xts crecendo supertweeters

4- odessey pc1700seller feed back threadhttp://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/136418-d-train-13k/

Just check to see if there are any cuts in the insulation on the power wire. Especially where it comes through the firewall like D-train said. If that's the case you can replace that section of wire.

If you are worried about installing near the back of the power wire I don't think you got anything to worry about installing a fuse is pretty simple. I'm sure there are youtube videos on it. Might even be a vid here in the member videos section under how-to-videos.

Just cause you might not be a veteran in audio it doesn't mean you should be shy about learning the scene and don't be affraid to install that next upgrade! Always satisfying when you look at the finished product and know you did it. I'm by far not a veteran and I still have much to learn in the audio world. Keep up the hard work in it bro :drinks:

- 1997 Chevy Tahoe- Big 3 (1/0)- Dual Autocraft Batts- JVC KD-A315 HU- AQ 2200.1D- 18" AQ HDC3- Box w/ Removable Port (6ft^3 @ 36hz & 6.7ft^3 @ 42hz)- 39' 1/0 & 13' 2/0 Flex-A-Prene

My Selling Feedback

Build Log

well when checking for shorts. just check pinch points along your system. such as the firewall. and kick panel area. i dont know how your wire is run through your vehicle but those are the first places i would check. you could use a voltage meter and check various areas and try to locate the spike directly.

O ok thanks..Ill go check as soon i put my amp back together

2003 Impala LS

"Under Reconstruction"

Just check to see if there are any cuts in the insulation on the power wire. Especially where it comes through the firewall like D-train said. If that's the case you can replace that section of wire.

If you are worried about installing near the back of the power wire I don't think you got anything to worry about installing a fuse is pretty simple. I'm sure there are youtube videos on it. Might even be a vid here in the member videos section under how-to-videos.

Just cause you might not be a veteran in audio it doesn't mean you should be shy about learning the scene and don't be affraid to install that next upgrade! Always satisfying when you look at the finished product and know you did it. I'm by far not a veteran and I still have much to learn in the audio world. Keep up the hard work in it bro :drinks:

its actually best to have a fuse at the front of your power wire near the battery and a fuse before the amp.

in case you do have a short between the front fuse and your amp. your less likely to fry anything. basically. just cut the power wire, hook up the same fuse as is up front and connect it back to your amp.

but definitely check for shorts. those are car audio's worst nightmare. and are nothing you want to be playing with. if a short is bad enough it can cause electrical fires or worse destroy your audio equipment

its actually best to have a fuse at the front of your power wire near the battery and a fuse before the amp.

in case you do have a short between the front fuse and your amp. your less likely to fry anything. basically. just cut the power wire, hook up the same fuse as is up front and connect it back to your amp.

but definitely check for shorts. those are car audio's worst nightmare. and are nothing you want to be playing with. if a short is bad enough it can cause electrical fires or worse destroy your audio equipment

Its late where im at But im going outside to re install my amp(The things we do for car audio lol) But anyway i just checked the amp guts and they are ok....I hope i dnt have a short cuz a fire is a last thing i want to happen...I would sick to my stomach if my Audioques caught on fire from the amp....But ill give it a shot to figure out whats going on...Thanks for the help

2003 Impala LS

"Under Reconstruction"

Thanks for the encouragement and the replies In a time of need...The amps guts are ok...Im going outside now to put it back in to find the solution to my problem...

2003 Impala LS

"Under Reconstruction"

Archived