Sonic Electronix

how thick should my sound detenator be? in mil please:)

Ok to answer the original question at hand (how thick of a product should you use), that honestly has nothing to do with the quality or performance of the product.

For instance I've compared the performance of Damplifier (which is only 40 mils thick) to several products ranging from 60-78 mils and Damplifier out performed them. This test is based on how well it stopped and prevented vibrations.

So thickness is not the say all or end all.

FatMat is garbage. It's thin, doesn't have a true foil constraining layer (it's mostly plastic), and is asphalt based. I've seen P&S type products that would actually be a better purchase.

FatMat does have one product that is better called MegaMat, but rarely will or do people buy it because it's more expensive because it is butyl based.

How much more info would you like? I can talk all day. :)

There are about four brands/products that I would ever purchase and FatMat is definitely not one of them.

BTW, a mil is one thousandth of an inch, so a product that is 60 mils is 60/1000th of an inch or .060".

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

what about B-Quiet Ultimate mat . i saw it on ebay for good price. let me know if u heard of it

Orion 2500D , 2-10" alpine type X. Custom enclosure,
Alpine amp for mids and highs.
Working on a center channel ATM

B-Quiet Ultimate is kind of in the middle of the pack. It's butyl but the foil is really thin (3 mils last time I had some). It allows for easier conforming but sacrifices performance.

How much are you looking to spend? I can probably suggest ya some different products.

usa_render4.png

140$ ish for 50 sq.ft shipped to canada. thats the thing. shipping kills me and i can get b-quiet for 130$ for 50sq ft at 6 $ shipping since hes a dealer in canada near me.

i just wanna get the trunk done. floor, lid, walls, top. 50 sq ft enough? should be right?

Yeah 40-50 sq. ft. would do that just fine (remember 25% coverage is about all you need to kill panel resonance).

I think you can get a 40 sq. ft. pack of Damplifier for about $140 (it's been a while since I calculated shipping to Canada).

I'd suggest giving Ken a call or shoot him an email for a shipping quote. He's the owner of Second Skin.

Have you taken a look at Sound Deadener Showdown? I've known Don for years and he wont steer you wrong and his product is one of the few that I would suggest as an alternative to Second Skin.

usa_render4.png

Strictly based on the performance of the products, I'm not a fan of AT.

It actually performed slightly lower than Damplifier (the 60 mil version). The biggest issue I have with it is it's super gummy butyl adhesive. At lower temps it's more solid and performs better, but when it gets warmer (from my testing around 90 degrees) it's performance starts to drop.

It's sticky, no question about that.

SDS, Cascade Audio, Dynamat, and Scosche Accumat Hyperflex are my favorites (besides Second Skin of course).

usa_render4.png

Strictly based on the performance of the products, I'm not a fan of AT.

It actually performed slightly lower than Damplifier (the 60 mil version). The biggest issue I have with it is it's super gummy butyl adhesive. At lower temps it's more solid and performs better, but when it gets warmer (from my testing around 90 degrees) it's performance starts to drop.

It's sticky, no question about that.

SDS, Cascade Audio, Dynamat, and Scosche Accumat Hyperflex are my favorites (besides Second Skin of course).

Thank you for mentioning SDS, honestly impressive in my eyes. Everyone seems to ignore that site, and his products. :drinks:

i resolve to be a nicer moderator.

Tercel build R.I.P.

Eclipse build Old New

V-Dub

My feedback.