Sundown Audio

Infrasonic filters, this sucks ! What to do ???

Fish Chris

Okay, before we go any farther, yes, I can turn off the infrasonic sub filter on my amp.... which of course leads to the qestion > How important is an infrasonic filter, in the first place ?

Next: To answer the question, "Why tune so low" ? Well, if I was locked into a sitution where I could only have one tuned port frequency, no, I would not want to tune that low, at the great cost of the majority of the rest of my music sounding crappy... or leastwise, not near as good as it would if it were tuned to say, 35hz"....

However, with my current design, my box "will be tuned to 35hz most of the time"..... It's just that it will also be easily adjustable, by way of port extenders, to drop it down to 25hz or so, when I want to play some of my really deep bass techno stuff. I actually have quite a bit of content that hits in the mid 20's, with some notes rolling off below 20hz.... I LOVE the way that kind of bass "feels" :)

Hmmmm.....

Somebody asked about my gear ? Well, not exactly high excursion SPL type of subs.... But they are a pair Dayton HO 15"s. Will be giving them 965 wts RMS, and they will be in an optimum sized box for SQ, and hopefully, deep bass.... 7.5 cu ft net, for the pair.

Fish

You never said you could turn it off. Thats why we are giving different answers. Then yes turn it off and add an external filter and place it where you like. Or not at all

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

WINN ! FTW :) LOL

That is exactly the type of easy fix I was hoping for ! $30 too ! Of course I will have to do a little research and look for a few reviews on them.... But probably a done deal !

Very cool !

PS, I think "loud bass" is cool.... As long as it's loud "below 30hz" ;)

http://store.hlabs.com/pk4/store.pl?view_product=13

Wouldnt sugestion tuning that low :shrug:

NDMustang Suggested that ^^^^^^^^

Edited by Fish Chris

Blown, nobody asked ! :) LOL But besides all that, I was still not sure that turning it off would be a smart thing to do. Those little in-line filters look too easy though :)

Peace,

Fish

You never said you could turn it off. Thats why we are giving different answers. Then yes turn it off and add an external filter and place it where you like. Or not at all

LoL, you look like my old Machine Shop teacher. Do you ride a motorcycle by any chance? LoL

Are you saying you want to disable the infrasonic filter, or override it or what?

You could find a way to use an equalizer to boost the 20hz range ONLY. Key point is ONLY that range so that when your amp tries to filter it, the input voltage is higher so when it filters it, it's like the filter isn't there.

You get what I'm saying, or no?

Nope, don't ride a bike.... Just a car, truck, or boat :)

Well, I'm just saying that the 28hz cutoff of my infrasonic filter is too high ! I wish it were either fully adjustable... or 20hz. I've been told by the techs, that my subs are pretty good to about 24hz.... So, I'd like it to be tuned to 25hz (with the extensions added) and the IF to be set at about 23 or 24hz.

Again, I have a bunch techno tracks with plenty of mid 20's bass ! I don't want to be filtering out "anything" that was intentionally recorded !

X-overs and such seem like a pretty costly way to go.

And I haven't found many revies on the Fmod idea posted above, but one that I found was negative :(

Hmmm...

Peace,

Fish

LoL, you look like my old Machine Shop teacher. Do you ride a motorcycle by any chance? LoL

Are you saying you want to disable the infrasonic filter, or override it or what?

You could find a way to use an equalizer to boost the 20hz range ONLY. Key point is ONLY that range so that when your amp tries to filter it, the input voltage is higher so when it filters it, it's like the filter isn't there.

You get what I'm saying, or no?

Edited by Fish Chris

Hey gu, do you have the old RF Power 1000 chromed 5 ch. like mine ? or another RF 1000 ? Just curious.

But yea, about those Fmods, they look totally simple to use, and cheap enough, but I've not read much good about them.... One reviewer said they hurt sound quality, and 3 said they didn't do anything, and that was out of the 4 reviews I was able to find :( {note; when somebody says "they didn't do anything", you have to stop and consider that maybe 98% of the time, > they did not have anything to do, because they were not being sent anything less than 20hz ! I know these are really more like a little insurance "in case" they get sent something too low.... either by recording error, interference, etc......

But still.....

Hmmmmm.... I hate vague crap like this.

Fish

http://store.hlabs.com/pk4/store.pl?view_product=13

Wouldnt sugestion tuning that low :shrug:

NDMustang Suggested that ^^^^^^^^

yup that what he suggested iget for my RF1000.

Edited by Fish Chris