Second Skin Audio

ONYX LSM 12" RECONE!!!

Well, like the title states, this is my recone project of a 1st gen, Onyx Mobile Audio 12" LSM. I have personally owned this sub for 8 years and about 2 years ago the pair I have decided to no longer work.

As most of you know the main issues with this generation Onyx sub, were the tinsel leads coming loose from overexcursion and the glue that holds the motor to the top plate comes loose from overheating.

Well the motor configuration on these are repaired with different adhesive which corrected the problem from the original build house, so that issue is no longer there. I also am going to run a dual spider configuration instead of the original single to get more power to the sub. With the recone it will now have woven tinsel leads to prevent "tinsel slap" which occured on the originals.

Now onto the pics!

2011-08-16111502.jpg

2011-08-16111512.jpg

Stripped down, just gotta clean off old surround and spider material

2011-08-16110819.jpg

2011-08-16110851.jpg

2011-08-16110956.jpg

2011-08-16110907.jpg

2011-08-16111105.jpg

Now for my decision on which dust cap! I was thinking either running an original style or the con-cave aluminum off the second gen LS & LSM series like this!

2011-08-16110704.jpg

What do you all think?? Aluminum con-cave or original standard dome.

The new configuration recone is:

3" ID

3 1/4" OD

7 3/4" dual spider

Woven tinsel leads

Aluminum or copper coils in D2 impedance

Paper/pulp cone

High roll surround

Now as you all know there is always a goal in mind! Here's mine:

I want to run a single sub ported, sealed in cab from trunk! I am looking for a tuning between 20-25 htz, peaking response low mid 30's. This is more of an SQ setup, but will still be able to hit low/mid 140's on a TL!

I also need assistance in a box design that has a max height of 13.5", max width of 26 3/4", & a desired depth of no more than 12". I also would like to run Kerf ports, but if Aero's are more efficient, that is fine too. So if any of you master box designers are up for the challenge, I would greatly appreciate it!

Let me know constructively what you think about this project!!

Thanks

Mike

"Audio-Concepts"

Pioneer AVH480

Zapco ST5XII amplifier

Stevens Audio 6.5" components (passive)

Onyx Subwoofer

Sky High OFC wiring

Time to strip off the old surround and spider material!

I dont have a grinder, so I went with a cordless drill and a red scotch bright roll lock disc!

2011-08-16144129.jpg

I started with the top rim

2011-08-16145302.jpg

Then I went to the lower rim

2011-08-16152206.jpg

I have ordered new terminal posts and CA glue from PSI, now I am just waiting on Forevrbumpn for my price on the recone, to send him the money and wait for it!

I cant wait to hear this beast come alive!!

Pioneer AVH480

Zapco ST5XII amplifier

Onyx Subwoofer

Sky High OFC wiring

I agree, paper cone = BOOB! The aluminum cap would look dumb IMO. Great sub you have there, Ken can make some damn good subs and recones. I've done business with him several times, you won't be disappointed. And your missing two screws btw.

I could make you a box design, but not for free. :pardon: But seriously, I'm on vaca right now. Hit up RAMdesigns, he does just as good of work if not better. I've seen him whip up some very nice and easy to read designs for not a lot of money.

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

If I buy something from you, DO NOT USE FEDEX!

Yeah im leaning towards the boob! Everyone loves a boob!

Yeah I am not sure what I am going to do about a design. Ray and RAMdesigns are the 2 I am leaning towards. I have no problem paying someone for their time either!

I actually have 2 of these LSM's. I have contacted Ascendent in case I dont get contact! So I will be able to get this beast playing again soon, and then get his brother built for my soon-to-be wife!

Edited by Audio-Concepts

Pioneer AVH480

Zapco ST5XII amplifier

Onyx Subwoofer

Sky High OFC wiring

If thats the case I am for sure sending him the twin sister sitting on my dresser! But I will make that conclusion upon finished build, plus giving it some good power upon spec recommendations!

Pioneer AVH480

Zapco ST5XII amplifier

Onyx Subwoofer

Sky High OFC wiring

Well Ken has my sub and is in process of making her better than ever! I am so completely overwhelmed at how informative and helpful he is! Plus the knowledge I am gaining by talking to him makes the process worth every penny.

I hope he will be able to chime in with pics of the process and some detailed notes of what was modified to make her better and more up to date than the original!

Pioneer AVH480

Zapco ST5XII amplifier

Onyx Subwoofer

Sky High OFC wiring