Sundown Audio

Cheap amp=bad power?

Mha

a few months ago I saw a guy I kind of knew from high school and he was trying to sell me his orion hcca 12. Anyways I was show him my kicker l7 15 that had just blown a few min before. And he said it may have had somthing to do with my hifonics hfi 2000. He said cheap amp produce cheap power(he tryed to explain it to me, im new and didnt know if it was BS or not). Is this true? Im mean I looked the amp up before I b ought it it had good reviews but most people said it doesnt do the power it said but was a good amp for the money. I started thinking, well I payed 220 new for 2000 watts or so, why else would people dish out 500+ for the same power amp by kicker or other brands?

That series of hifonics doesn't do rated. So itmightve not seemed loud enough so you might have tried to compensate by using too much gain or bass boost etc and could become dirty power. Would be my guess haha cause I don't think cheap amps put dirty power. Unless it's like legacy or boss etc haha

Driving my 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 MEGA cab with the 5.7 hemi.

Audio: Two 10" Alpine Type R's ( 1000rms models )

Hifonics BRZ 2400.1D @ .5 ohm

Two Kinetic 1400 batteries ( soon to have XS power under hood )

Tsunami 1/0 Awg wire throughout truck.

Stock Infinity 7 speaker system ( Junk ) soon to be replaced, probably all Alpine.

Exterior: 17"Dick cepek rims with 33" Toyo MT tires

Bushwacker fender flares

Magnaflow true duel exhaust

LED tail lights with Projector headlights

Plasti-dip fun coming soon!

a few months ago I saw a guy I kind of knew from high school and he was trying to sell me his orion hcca 12. Anyways I was show him my kicker l7 15 that had just blown a few min before. And he said it may have had somthing to do with my hifonics hfi 2000. He said cheap amp produce cheap power(he tryed to explain it to me, im new and didnt know if it was BS or not). Is this true? Im mean I looked the amp up before I b ought it it had good reviews but most people said it doesnt do the power it said but was a good amp for the money. I started thinking, well I payed 220 new for 2000 watts or so, why else would people dish out 500+ for the same power amp by kicker or other brands?

woofer was probably seeing a clipped signal

Youtube.com/J Hutch22

You get what you pay for. Since many companies rate their amps differently, unless you do some reading (besides product reviews) you wouldnt know that.

Many brand rate on peak power. That may be a t a certain tone level, with 14.4V generally a tone that a sub wouldnt even use in the first place...

Reputable brands rate on RMS.

The only hifonics that generally do rated power are the brutus series. Stay away from the hifi series.

And yes, like adam said you likely clipped the sub to death by trying to turn up the bass and gain.

Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD | Hertz 6.5 | Alpine Type R 6x9 | Custom 200A Alt | Knu Flek 1/0 Big 3 and all wiring | Eclipse EA3422 | AudioQue 2200d | DC XL 12 | Red Oak Box ~2.8 cubes @ 30 hz |

You get what you pay for. Since many companies rate their amps differently, unless you do some reading (besides product reviews) you wouldnt know that.

Many brand rate on peak power. That may be a t a certain tone level, with 14.4V generally a tone that a sub wouldnt even use in the first place...

Reputable brands rate on RMS.

The only hifonics that generally do rated power are the brutus series. Stay away from the hifi series.

And yes, like adam said you likely clipped the sub to death by trying to turn up the bass and gain.

:clapping: well said :clapping:

2001 is300Headunit: JVC KD-X50BTHighs/Mids: StockHigh/Mids Amp: NASubwoofer: DC Audio LV4 12"Subwoofer Box: DLDesigns Box tuned to 32HzSubwoofer Amp: AQ 2200DElectrical: NA Performance:SRT Racing intake with ECUHKS Super Dragger 2BC Racing Coilovers

BC 264 stage 2 cams

full head build with BC Valves, Retainers, and springs

Dezod Green Race Header Comming soon/Thinking about<p>Electrical: XS power under the hood (Suggestions Welcome)​Performance: BC Cams,Cam gears, maybe GTE Swap down the lineMy YouTube Channel Subscribe and i'll return the favor!Xbox Live Team Website.My First Official Box Build.My FacebooK

the hfi series generally does half of what it says it does. your amp has 4 gauge inputs, yet it says it can output 2000w. something doesnt add up here, and its the power rating that hifonics has given it. you more than likely blew your sub from a clipped/dirty signal which is caused by having the gain too far up on the amp, using bass boost on the headunit/mp3 player/amp, or having a bass enhancer (like Loud, or even just the equalizer bass setting) on.

people will pay more for certain brands because the quality is much, much higher.