Phoenix Gold Australia's 12x 12" Elite's 24kw - 160.2dB @ 40Hz

I'm following the build and noticed how my small replica box is similar to your wall.

If I can make a small suggestion or share something about this style that I learned:

I built a small scale version of the box with 12 3" speakers and noticed that I had more db when I "seal" the middle port or relocate the port to outside of the cone firing area. But it being in a small car like we have, relocation may not be possible. I had to ask myself why there was more db when the center was sealed. After thinking about it, I figured that the acoustical output of the middle six in the port is being "overtaken" by the same acoustical force of all 12 speakers as it "draws" air back into the box. What's happening is that while all 12 subs push outwards in a single motion, the air compression caused by the six in the port is being sucked back into the box due to all 12 subs outward motion from the box. The front area of the car will hear more of the 6 angled 12s than all 12 because of the port.

If you were to put a sealing cap on the port, it does become a sealed box. But, you don't have that draw-back caused by all 12 subs forward motion that is pulling acoustical output from the 6 in the port back into the box. You'd have all 12 pushing out from the box and not a portion being compromised. I guess what I'm saying is that the 6 in the port kind of acts like it's playing free air and being cancelled out by the overall output of the sub wall.

I'm probably gonna get alot of hate from posting this but, I did build a smaller replica and played it, and then relocated my port to one side outside of the speaker firing area, and then just sealed the box completely.

Bass Music Producer • Photographer • Graphic Designer

--------------

Deep Sector Boom...

Hi Quake City,

I think I understand what you are referring to, and I 'hope' we have planned accordingly to try to avoid this sort of situation. We worked out the progression ratio of each of the baffles according to the combined Cone Area + Port Area.

Hopefully this will make sense...

- the REAR of the Rear Baffle (adjacent to the port) is 80% of Sd + Port Area

- the FRONT of the Rear Baffle (the transition from rear baffle to front baffle) is 96% of SD + Port Area

- the FRONT of the Front Baffle is 100% of Sd + Port Area

The hope is that with the opening areas providing little if any compression, that we won't have as many issues. But I understand you concerns about Series Loaded Port Vs Parallel Loaded Port... And you're right, Sadly we just don't have room in this small car to do a Parallel Loaded Port :( And I just can't bring myself to go Sealed, even if it were louder, because...it's SEALED and SEALED boxes are the DEVIL :P

Appreciate the info!!!

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

As expected the end of the build was absolutely NUTS. Sorry for not posting progress pics earlier, but we were up against a Deadline to get this thing even

playing, let alone looking half decent. Still lots of work to do, but we made it!!!

B-Pillars taking shape:

IMG_0794_zps175c220f.jpg

IMG_0790_zps583c5cd0.jpg

IMG_0797_zps9f1ac514.jpg

IMG_0798_zps8c166bf3.jpg

Top and Bottom Trims going in:

IMG_0787_zps90acb119.jpg

IMG_0788_zpse7c62a5f.jpg

Archived