How to remove clipping from music(video)

We should sticky the above thread you linked to and all future clipping threads should be immediately deleted lol, I'm tired of seeing these.

Know when a song has too much clipping and know that HU/Amp gain setting clipping is worse than music.

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

Jumping back in here with some pics to illustrate what I said earlier about "Fixing" it.

For shits and gigs I used the ever so popular Swing My Door.

Here is the original. Nice and clipped to fuck.

39904173.jpg

Here's the attempted clip fix. Notice how the wave form is still "Flattened" but is more of a triangle shape now.

This is far easier on subs then just the reduced volume clip that is being demonstrated.

78628831.jpg

And here's the two side by side.

Not quite as loud but far safer to play.

Now the top one may look better, but because the information above the wave has been "destroyed" it sounds identical on your highs. Clipped to death.

18582150.jpg

good addition and great point... i use that song as a reference a lot too

even if you remove the red or "clipping" or dc offset, whatever you call it... there's still distortion. a goal when messing with music should not be to remove the red like its a plague, it should be to understand why it turned red and how much it affects what your ears are hearing. interpret that info when deciding whether a song should be messed with in the first place

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

So how do you apply that to a whole track? how does it sound? and how do you actually do that? move each sample manually or is there a filter you apply?

That seems like a lot of work for less than half a second... if a song is 5 minutes long it seems to me that it'd be easier to find a cleaner original.

Is my logic flawed?

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

So how do you apply that to a whole track? how does it sound? and how do you actually do that? move each sample manually or is there a filter you apply?

That seems like a lot of work for less than half a second... if a song is 5 minutes long it seems to me that it'd be easier to find a cleaner original.

Is my logic flawed?

bigpimpn91 used "clip fix," an Effect on Audacity.

it will sound virtually the same as the original just a little quieter

you click clip fix and it does it for you.

that song is straight from Gucci Mane - Chicken Talk Mixtape, alot of times there is no cleaner original. just because it came from a cd does not mean its clean at all.

i was listening to some Fear Factory Obsolete and always loved "Shock." I remember the "subsonic boom" at 31seconds from years ago and wanted to know the frequency... its basically a big ol flat explosion, lol. needless to say i will still play it even tho i know its dirty, just not at full volume

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

When I said CD, I was thinking along the lines of a CD album that an actual recording engineer put his hands on. Anything I'd ever compete with (If I ever decide to compete) I'd make sure it was from an original source, not mp3 or some mix tape. Mix tapes are notoriously dirty. However, I do get what you're saying. I was thinking along the same lines, that you'd have to have some kind of filter to do the work.

Meh, I'll try it out sometime, but I usually buy used CDs online for dirt cheap and rip them to FLAC. My ears can't take mp3s for too long.

:drinks:

EDIT: BTW good to know about that. Didn't really know if such a filter existed. I haven't moved away from Cool Edit Pro yet (showing my age?)

Edited by srp365

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Is my logic flawed?

Finding a clean original is the 100% prefered method.

This was applied to the whole track, I just used the close up view for visual purposes.

Wrong, actually.

I used a few filters and a limiter in FL Studio to fix clipped songs.

Timbaland is a producer/recording engineer and his music is pretty badly clipped, especially on the first Shock Value

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

When I said CD, I was thinking along the lines of a CD album that an actual recording engineer put his hands on. Anything I'd ever compete with (If I ever decide to compete) I'd make sure it was from an original source, not mp3 or some mix tape. Mix tapes are notoriously dirty. However, I do get what you're saying. I was thinking along the same lines, that you'd have to have some kind of filter to do the work.

Meh, I'll try it out sometime, but I usually buy used CDs online for dirt cheap and rip them to FLAC. My ears can't take mp3s for too long.

:drinks:

EDIT: BTW good to know about that. Didn't really know if such a filter existed. I haven't moved away from Cool Edit Pro yet (showing my age?)

Albums are full of bad quality, just because its a commercialized cd does not mean its clean

Is my logic flawed?

Finding a clean original is the 100% prefered method.

This was applied to the whole track, I just used the close up view for visual purposes.

Wrong, actually.

I used a few filters and a limiter in FL Studio to fix clipped songs.

i figured with ur wording u were using clip fix.

song sounds like ass no matter whats done to it ftl

Timbaland is a producer/recording engineer and his music is pretty badly clipped, especially on the first Shock Value

:werd_msword:

TeamSundown-sig.jpg