So I switched from 35w to 55w HIDs from DDM Tuning a while back after a ballast went bad. I bought the wiring harness as well in order to avoid problems with my stock headlight wiring. However, on 2 occasions, the headlights blew a fuse and I would have to get a repair done. I am pretty sure it was the fuse on the wiring harness. Does anybody know what could have caused this?

Do you know if they replaced the ballasts when the fuses popped last time? That just sounds like a bad ballast to me. I've got about two years experience with HIDs so I've run into the basic failures

Team NWSPL

baaudio Build Log

2001 GMC Sierra walkthrough

4 Mechman Elite 370s, 10 AGM batteries, 3 Crossfire XS v2 18s, Crossfire 8k

Do you know if they replaced the ballasts when the fuses popped last time? That just sounds like a bad ballast to me. I've got about two years experience with HIDs so I've run into the basic failures

the ballasts were never switched. and if it were a bad ballasts, wouldn't just one light not work?

are those balasts rated for 55 w?? considering you started with 35w something to check. also do you have it tied into your headlight switch or a new switch system???

are each ballast fused??

what size fuse do you currently have?

Edited by 01VWGREENMACHINE

http://www.stevemead...f-system-build/

2001 VW GTI with a 1.8T motor

BIG 3

Pioneer AVH-4200DVD DOUBLE DIN HEAD UNIT 6 - 4 VOLT PREOUTS

RF T1500-BDCP (running at 2 ohm)

RF T400.4

RF T1 D212 x2 (in ported box)

RF 1/0 TO 4 GAUGE distribution block x 2

all stinger wires

200a alternator (SINGER ALT)

RF T2652-S (6.5 MID BASS AND 1" TWEETS in front and rear)

KINETIC HC 800 BATTERY (Front)

KINETIC HC 1200 BATTERY (BACK)

120ft of 1/0 stinger blue and clear matt

20ft of 4 gauge stinger blue and clear matt

30ft of 8 gauge stinger blue and clear matt

100ft of 12 gauge stinger speaker wire black

are those balasts rated for 55 w?? considering you started with 35w something to check. also do you have it tied into your headlight switch or a new switch system???

are each ballast fused??

the ones that kept fuckin me were 55W. I had 35W at first but I switched out the entire system for the 55w. they were tied into the original headlight switch. I bought the DDM Tuning wiring harness (which is fused) along with the 55w kit so this wouldn't happen :| and which fuse are you asking about; the wiring harness fuse or the headlight fuse in my fusebox? I am going back to 35W so this stops but I apparently have a lot to learn in terms of malfunction prevention.

Edited by Tek

are each ballast fused??

the ones that kept fuckin me were 55W. I had 35W at first but I switched out the entire system for the 55w. they were tied into the original headlight switch. I bought the DDM Tuning wiring harness (which is fused) along with the 55w kit so this wouldn't happen :| and which fuse are you asking about; the wiring harness fuse or the headlight fuse in my fusebox? I am going back to 35W so this stops but I apparently have a lot to learn in terms of malfunction prevention.

all the fuses tied into the system and wich ones are blowing?

http://www.stevemead...f-system-build/

2001 VW GTI with a 1.8T motor

BIG 3

Pioneer AVH-4200DVD DOUBLE DIN HEAD UNIT 6 - 4 VOLT PREOUTS

RF T1500-BDCP (running at 2 ohm)

RF T400.4

RF T1 D212 x2 (in ported box)

RF 1/0 TO 4 GAUGE distribution block x 2

all stinger wires

200a alternator (SINGER ALT)

RF T2652-S (6.5 MID BASS AND 1" TWEETS in front and rear)

KINETIC HC 800 BATTERY (Front)

KINETIC HC 1200 BATTERY (BACK)

120ft of 1/0 stinger blue and clear matt

20ft of 4 gauge stinger blue and clear matt

30ft of 8 gauge stinger blue and clear matt

100ft of 12 gauge stinger speaker wire black

i had hids since 08 i think or maby 07, does your lights have a high and low beam type bulb

and did u get a relay kit for ur ballast to run them with 55w?

if the fuse in the relay wireing blew u either have a bad ballast or a short some place, could be a bad grount also

if the fuse blowed in the actual headlight harness then the relay isn't wired right

some people have to mod some things on there cars for stuff to work

i wish ddm would have added a ground wire to go with the ballast to wire str8 to the battery vs grounds at end of the wireing where they plug into ballasts

does the lights still work? if not try on a ballast that works to deam the other ballast bad

hids are wierd on how they work, i got a book on hid lights from back in the 80's, security lights, parking lot lights use hid bulbs unless they changed to led, the difference in color is due to the difference in chemicals used in the light

the hids made for cars are on the same principle but a little different

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif

theres a part on the ddm website that shows and tells u what is what about there hid lighting and what knot, kinda like a consumer service thing

did u know that all there hid bulbs are variable wattage? the bulbs will work with 35w or 55w, just the ballast changes that

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

honestly i had the same problems with ddm.. they have the worst products out in the market.. honestly i spent so much money just on shipping to get the ballast and bulbs replaced in the 6 months time period.. there bulbs do alot of color change and ballast miss fire alot.. i recommend u pay a little extra and get something that wont mess up on you and not have to worry about turning your car on at night and one of the ballasts not working.. so then i switched to retro-solution 55w kits and havnt had a problem yet had them hooked up for a year now..

MURDERD HONDA PILOT!

they have a lifetime warrenty on there products

i have had mine for over 3yrs and not one problem at all, high beams work great, lights come on like a boss

imo every product has its flaws, i have only heard of a few ddm users and they have no problem at all with theres, my buddy has the 55w 8000k kit with high and low beams and loves the hell out of em

to be honest, most problems are due to user error, or intalls, with bad grounds ur ballasts wont get enough power to power up the ballasts to fire the bulbs, im not sayin your problems are with how u did it, but everyone makes mistakes and you dont know what happins under ur hood while ur driving

if your haveing problems, take the ground wires that u have to ground at the ballasts, crimp/solder then to a wire of same size or so, then run to your battery neg, if this dont work it could be ballast problems, or bulbs getting moisture, theres so many verables in how stuff works, ive had stuff work fine and then go all to shit to, no product is perfect

go threw the options to see what might be causing your problem then try ddm, they have a support forum where u can ask questions, look up different things and what knot

i hope u get ur problem resolved, ya ddm's bulbs are a little bit off in color but thats covered under warrenty, and can be the houseing affecting the output/color also