DC Sound Lab

Got my new sub in!

2.5 cubes after disp's is way too big, aim more for like 1.5-1.75

Im @ 2.5 cubes on my lvl 5 12". Its much louder than the 1.6 CF box I made later to test. Both around 19 cubes of port per.

Thats what I dont understand. The guy at DC said that 2.5cf box is too big. Why do they say thats too big, ..and you say yours is much louder in a bigger box? Everyone I talk to tells me something different. Is there any way to learn how this stuff works? I only want to build this one time.

Im also trying to figure out what size port I should use. If I use a round 4" port, it needs to be 13.8" long. My box will only be about 10" deep. So, the port would have to stick out towards the rear of the car, quite a bit, ...depending on how close it is to the front of the box. If I use a 3" port, it only needs to be 7.2" long. BUT, ...a 3" port might be too small. I really dont know which to go with.

Not trying to hijack but if some one could answer my question, thats cone on your subs a dust cap? Is the original dc cone still under it? if I get one of the others (original cone) can I just buy this dustcap and place it on? I m getting one soon and like the look of this one more.

2.5 cubes after disp's is way too big, aim more for like 1.5-1.75

Im @ 2.5 cubes on my lvl 5 12". Its much louder than the 1.6 CF box I made later to test. Both around 19 cubes of port per.

Thats what I dont understand. The guy at DC said that 2.5cf box is too big. Why do they say thats too big, ..and you say yours is much louder in a bigger box? Everyone I talk to tells me something different. Is there any way to learn how this stuff works? I only want to build this one time.

Im also trying to figure out what size port I should use. If I use a round 4" port, it needs to be 13.8" long. My box will only be about 10" deep. So, the port would have to stick out towards the rear of the car, quite a bit, ...depending on how close it is to the front of the box. If I use a 3" port, it only needs to be 7.2" long. BUT, ...a 3" port might be too small. I really dont know which to go with.

your box needs to be built according to the power youll be putting on it. most of the DC 12's like 1.75 net. usually if you build the box smaller its to help control the sub because your going to throw more power than it can normally handle. smaller boxes will sound more tight and punchy, and larger boxes are going to sound more boomy.

IMO you cannot really compare most of the other subs to the level 5. its way bigger and can handle way more power. thats why putting it in a larger box works well. is able to balance itself out.

this is from what ive learned when building boxes. theres always different ways to build box's but in most applications this is true

The IrishmanDCSig.jpgCheck out my build hereXL 4th order wall build logIn Progress:alpine cda HU4th order Bandpass2xl 15's1- ab 400.1 (gonna be two hopefully)4- Crescendo 8's2- xts crecendo supertweeters

2 sq super tweetsMb quart 4.125Mechman 270a alt1- xs D27003- xs XP3000

4- odessey pc1700seller feed back threadhttp://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/136418-d-train-13k/

Sexy dustcap. Put a dc sticker on it :D

I would, ..but they didn't give me a sticker, with the sub. I wouldve thought they would have sent one.

Not trying to hijack but if some one could answer my question, thats cone on your subs a dust cap? Is the original dc cone still under it? if I get one of the others (original cone) can I just buy this dustcap and place it on? I m getting one soon and like the look of this one more.

Just a dust cap. Im sure you could put it on just about any sub.

your box needs to be built according to the power youll be putting on it. most of the DC 12's like 1.75 net. usually if you build the box smaller its to help control the sub because your going to throw more power than it can normally handle. smaller boxes will sound more tight and punchy, and larger boxes are going to sound more boomy.

IMO you cannot really compare most of the other subs to the level 5. its way bigger and can handle way more power. thats why putting it in a larger box works well. is able to balance itself out.

this is from what ive learned when building boxes. theres always different ways to build box's but in most applications this is true

Keep in mind, ...I dont have a Lvl 5. Its an upgraded Lvl 4. So, ..since Im putting 2300 watts to it, ...thats why a 1.75 cf box would be good?

I still cant figure out the port. Would one 3" port be good? Because it would only need to be 7.2" long. Or should I have a 4" sticking way out of the box?