Sundown Audio

Need Help Identifying Old School Amp!!

Colin - STAPUFT

At 1st glance I thought it was a monolithic I had 1 very similar except they used t03 outputs that's a nice amp though. Get it Ray and do a old school build

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

Right before art series.

Im a ppi guy, id love to buy it off ya if you wanna sell it.

Working or not

We shall see?? :D I am about to hook it up and see if it works or if I like it. I soooo love old stuff, but I'm not a PPI guy. It may be much better off in your collection. :drinks:

So- before the Art Series... You know if it is actually 1992? All I can find is that they reportedly sounded great. 102 db signal to noise ratio, crazy bandwidth, maybe stable down to 1 ohm *EDIT* Stereo?!? I love old school USA made. Truly can't get stuff like this anymore.

I'm going out to mess with this thing. lol!

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Well- it works! 8)

I have a vid uploading, but it is going to take a bit. She seems to have a bit of hiss / noise going on. Not bad, but it does get louder the higher the gain is adjusted (I checked it with the volume all the way down and at normal listening levels with a 0 bit track). It doesn't seem to be that bad though. The Gain Potentiometer may be in need of a cleaning? :unknw: It had been sitting for years when I got it, and I have had it for about 6 months or more.

I tested each channel and I tested it bridged mono (all 8 ohms). All good and it seems to do well- not as "bright" as my MTX Road Thunder amps- but somehow more detailed. Transients seem better- and it will get up if you let it. :good:

Ray, what you think? You have first dibs. I have no clue what it is worth. If we can come together on a deal, we'd both be happy. I know the wife wouldn't mind me selling something for once. (gotta' admit- it is going to be a strange feeling...) hehehe

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

Close- but not quite- the heat-sink only has fins on the top, not on the sides. The flat "gap" on the top is not as wide as most of those either. Additionally, the board is a bit different. This one looks older than most of those that show up (direct wires for the speakers and such).

Definitely from the same family though. :D

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Well.

I got 67 in paypal right now.

Am i in your ballpark?

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

I think Crutchfield had a line of amps that we're made by ppi.Maybe it's Crutchfield.

HEAD UNIT JENSEN VM9312

4 12" KICKER COMPS

4 PUNCH 150 AMPS "0NE ON EACH SUB"

2 ALPINE 3522 ON MIDS AND HIGHS

MLA MOD

BIG 3

OPTIMA D31T BATTERY UP FRONT, ANOTHER IN BACK

2 KINETIK BATTERIES IN BACK ALSO"ONE 800,ONE 1200"

DUAL ALTERNATORS "ONE 200 AMP" OTHER MECHMAN 270 LARGE CASE

Well.

I got 67 in paypal right now.

Am i in your ballpark?

Don't know if I want to let it go for that low. Like I said- it is hard for me to sell anything anyway (you guys may see me on hoarders: car audio edition) one day.

I'm not hurting to let it go- I was just curious on exactly what it was.

Secondary: I think the whole noise / hiss thing may be due to my EQs. They churn out somewhere around 8 volts RMS through the RCAs. Pretty sure these old amps don't like that so much.

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Archived