Second Skin Audio

A Port Length Question I Ran Into When Trying To Design A Box

andym85

ok...assuming you measure port length along the orange line in the pic....say i want my port to be 20" long. now you can go 16" back, but then need to make a bend to get the additional 4"....but the problem is that the port is 11.25" wide...and half of that is 6 5/8"...so how can u make the turn if the measurement of half the port is greater than the measurement you need to make the turn at? did i explain that clearly?? anybody have any idea what im talkin about?

portquestion.jpg

i likes me some audio stuff...

So let me get this straight. You're saying that by the time you get to your 2nd port wall, the effective port length has already been reached? and your second port wall will be say a fraction of an inch or some really small value?

well UNTIL you bend the port, the effective port length stops at the end of the port. I ran into a similar problem but I was too lazy figure it out so I redesigned my port (shortened other dimensions) so it would be longer.

...yea, sounds like you get what im tryin to say. since you measure port length down the dead middle of the port...so half of the ports width (6 5/8") was greater than the turn i needed to make (4")..so idk...maybe it u didnt make the bend it would 'theorhetically (sp)' add half of the ports width automatically, which would lower the tuning some....idk...just a brain teezer that ive been tryin to wrap my head around...

i likes me some audio stuff...

Archived