DC Sound Lab

snail shell enclosure for level 5's

did some digging and found it -- sub goes to the right, almost like a normal ported box. Height is 15" (if it's same one I found, designed for RE XXX 12") Not sure on tuning freq.....would have to be pretty low, with that length of port.

Correct, it was allegedly for an RE xxx 12" @ 15" in height. I have no idea about tuning because this is nothing like a regular ported box; it is, from what I understand, something to do with 1/4 wave(which im not sure how that is build to the woofer itself, as I understood it as being install dependant). 1/4 wave was a huge thing and surely still is in the SPL world, and less used in the daily world, but several VERY loud people still use it/build around it, damn over-achievers.

The 1/4 Wave or ABCD Theory was a big fad in SPL for quite some time, especially in walled subwoofer systems. With this article I hope to explain what it is, how to calculate it and you can draw your own conclussion from there.

In a wall if the port opening is located ¼ of the tuned frequency’s wave length away from the windshield/microphone you gain constructive interference. This occurs because the originating wave (from the port) and the reflected wave (from the windshield) will "mix" with each other at the peaks & troughs of their wave form. This effectively boosts the amplitude (hence volume) of the wave. Thats the theory.

Just a short version of it. ^^

True enough getting the quarter wave figured so that you can pound that meter on the windshield is worth every minute spent when competing. Sometimes just moving the box an inch or two will change the wave enough to get a 2db increase. A 2db gain that came from alignment mind you not power that’s how important the quarter wave is in competition.

mobile chornobyl

• 11 months later...

John Nolte and I were talking last night, and he was telling me about these snail shells, and double shot box. So i started doing some research and found this thread. Did you ever end up building this box? How did it sound? considering trading out my T-line for a box that will play a larger bandwidth of music. thinking about this beast above. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

John Nolte and I were talking last night, and he was telling me about these snail shells, and double shot box. So i started doing some research and found this thread. Did you ever end up building this box? How did it sound? considering trading out my T-line for a box that will play a larger bandwidth of music. thinking about this beast above. :-)

Ben I saw the sub you want to buy, very nice.

Pushing it to the limits. Want more power.