NEW PRODUCT SNEAK PEAK! SMD AD-1 Amp Dyno - UPDATE 3/27/13 Spy Pics Page 11, 13, 14

I think the debate comes in as music is a dynamic program what usable data can you gather while it is playing in car and what need is there for that data in a situation where you can't really tune. On the flip side who listens to sine waves, where this type of monitoring system does gave a purpose.

Again, I'm trying to decipher where the conflict is and am concluding that the guys feel an instrument of this kind has very little value, not that it doesn't exist

the amp dyno uses a test tone cd and no music .

they also sell a useless (but cool looking) meter that moves up and down to the music for 130 dollars. sure it tells you when you are clipping if adjusted but i think that is a far more useless product than the idea i am putting out there

sorry its on sale for $109 right now

another point is power supply. i dont know of many people wanting to build a test bench in their house capable of 200 or 300 amps dc. the alternative is to lug this amp dyno out to your car find a spot big enough for it to sit and close enough to where the amp is mounted . disconnect your speaker wires hook them up to a pretty much non reactive dummy load of resistors and dyno an amp.

I follow your train of though. And I agree with your assessment. I think though we are comparing two pieces of equipment with to completely opposite markets.

The amp dyne fills the niche for those who are looking for a tangible measure of their amplifiers output under a controlled test so that they can show a number. Where as you are looking to collect dynamic data, in real time to monitor the performance of the system.

I dont believe you fall into the category of the "average" car audio consumer thus you see the amp dyne as something that could be further refined to meet your needs.

Again, I dont have a dog in this fight, I'm just trying to dissect both sides of the debate.

As far as the bouncing lights go, again.... They fill a void in a market. They are accurate to an extent if properly used and that's great. But I'll stand by what I said earlier and claim the "average" ( for whatever that term is worth) consumer of that product it's accuracy is secondary when compared to its aesthetic attributes.

Then again, what the hell do I know!

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

I follow your train of though. And I agree with your assessment. I think though we are comparing two pieces of equipment with to completely opposite markets.

The amp dyne fills the niche for those who are looking for a tangible measure of their amplifiers output under a controlled test so that they can show a number. Where as you are looking to collect dynamic data, in real time to monitor the performance of the system.

I dont believe you fall into the category of the "average" car audio consumer thus you see the amp dyne as something that could be further refined to meet your needs.

Again, I dont have a dog in this fight, I'm just trying to dissect both sides of the debate.

As far as the bouncing lights go, again.... They fill a void in a market. They are accurate to an extent if properly used and that's great. But I'll stand by what I said earlier and claim the "average" ( for whatever that term is worth) consumer of that product it's accuracy is secondary when compared to its aesthetic attributes.

just for example . im sure the first cars on the road didnt have a fuel gauge and the guy that came up with that idea was probably made fun of. and hell some cars still dont come with a tach. but that doesnt mean that you have to be a race car driver just to enjoy knowing what rpm your engine is running at and use your rpms to change your driving habbits to save fuel or know if your overdrive is working correctly . if some one built a prototype sent it to china or korea to have them made. and could match the price point to 134.99 or 109.99 on sale. if some one bought 2 little led wind shield wiper looking thingies over a full diagnostic readout , i would really question their intelligence .

a normal person uses multiple gauges and meters and readouts in their car every day without even knowing how the hell they work or even what the hell they mean but the car companies still put them in . do we really need tpms sensors in tires to drive to where we need to go? no but it gives a comfort level to certain people. so just because we can do without something is not a good basis for not designing something new or making it common place. i mentioned kenny coleman having one of these in his vehicle. he is not a big youtube guy. if meade or jonathan price had one in their vehicle everyone would start looking into it. which is a good thing

with the engineering experience of the creators of the amp dyno it could very simply be made to exceed everyone's needs and be made for less money by getting rid of the expensive dummy load resistors . hell even put some blue led wind shield wipers on it if they want. they are amp repair and design guys. they sit inside all day and fix , design , probe and solder. notice all the big power stuff they tested were a/c house amps. not even the creators of this thing have a big enough dc power supply inside their house to test a big boy 12 volt amp. they couldnt even feed a boss 4000 in their vehicle . now thats what i call wrong product for the wrong market