New File Server Build

NICE SERVER. MINE DOESN'T LOOK AS PRETTY BUT IM RUNNIN 15 OF THE 2TB WD ENTERPRISE RAID DRIVES IN 3 5 BAY HOTSWAP CAGES IN RAID 5 CONFIG WITH A ARC 1201 RAID CONTROLLER AND THE 16TH IN MAIN DRIVE =]crap sorry for the caps lol what did you pay per drive?

http://www.stevemead...f-system-build/

2001 VW GTI with a 1.8T motor

BIG 3

Pioneer AVH-4200DVD DOUBLE DIN HEAD UNIT 6 - 4 VOLT PREOUTS

RF T1500-BDCP (running at 2 ohm)

RF T400.4

RF T1 D212 x2 (in ported box)

RF 1/0 TO 4 GAUGE distribution block x 2

all stinger wires

200a alternator (SINGER ALT)

RF T2652-S (6.5 MID BASS AND 1" TWEETS in front and rear)

KINETIC HC 800 BATTERY (Front)

KINETIC HC 1200 BATTERY (BACK)

120ft of 1/0 stinger blue and clear matt

20ft of 4 gauge stinger blue and clear matt

30ft of 8 gauge stinger blue and clear matt

100ft of 12 gauge stinger speaker wire black

Nice man! One word to the wise though, if you don't have any spare drives think about getting one or two because if they every just up and pull the plug on them (afaik that series has no EOL guarantee) you're screwed (say that since 15.5 says you're using all the drives w/ no spare).

Outside of that it's bad ass! Not sure how in the hell you are saving $40 a month though... I have 4 computers that run 24x7x365 and I wouldn't save that much :pardon:

OK, I am not a computer person at all.... what the hell is that thing that looks like a garbage disposal? Cooling device?

It's the fan for the CPU

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

Nice man! One word to the wise though, if you don't have any spare drives think about getting one or two because if they every just up and pull the plug on them (afaik that series has no EOL guarantee) you're screwed (say that since 15.5 says you're using all the drives w/ no spare).

Outside of that it's bad ass! Not sure how in the hell you are saving $40 a month though... I have 4 computers that run 24x7x365 and I wouldn't save that much :pardon:

OK, I am not a computer person at all.... what the hell is that thing that looks like a garbage disposal? Cooling device?

It's the fan for the CPU

Believe me I have spare hard drives, also there are 2 separate raid 5 volumes on this server. It will let me know when a drive fails and it will rebuild the array.

I think I typed the space wrong after I reread the post. After the raid 5 arrays I have 14.2TB of usable space.

The last server was a power hog. This one was built to conserve energy. It even has active power management to help with the energy savings.

**edit** all the fans are huge and over sized in this build.

I did that to keep the fan speed down and keep the noise down to a minimum.

Edited by Basshead89

It's the fan for the CPU

Believe me I have spare hard drives, also there are 2 separate raid 5 volumes on this server. It will let me know when a drive fails and it will rebuild the array.

I think I typed the space wrong after I reread the post. After the raid 5 arrays I have 14.2TB of usable space.

The last server was a power hog. This one was built to conserve energy. It even has active power management to help with the energy savings.

Which controller is it? Is it a CPU hog (I assume it doesn't have on board processing)? I've been wanting to consolidate my boxes to VMs to save energy as well and I dig that case as well as the one in my workstation now (Cosmos). I find it funny that we are finally starting to get to a place where people saying a number like 10 or 20 automatically gets me thinking TB rather than GB especially since I've been around PCs when you automatically assume MB :D

Are computers your hobby or are you old enough to be doing it as a living already or? Just curious ;)

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

It's the fan for the CPU

Which controller is it? Is it a CPU hog (I assume it doesn't have on board processing)? I've been wanting to consolidate my boxes to VMs to save energy as well and I dig that case as well as the one in my workstation now (Cosmos). I find it funny that we are finally starting to get to a place where people saying a number like 10 or 20 automatically gets me thinking TB rather than GB especially since I've been around PCs when you automatically assume MB :D

Are computers your hobby or are you old enough to be doing it as a living already or? Just curious ;)

The controller has on board processing. Its and adaptec unit. I forget which model. The motherboard also does Raid also.

Computers are not my hobby, they are my living. I am in the middle of converting some of the servers at work to VM's... Just that alone will save us money in power and cooling.

I know what you mean with the MB comment. The first computer I built had a 20MB hard drive. The Cache's on the hard drives in this server have more space than the 1st hard drive I owned!

• 2 weeks later...

It's the fan for the CPU

Thats a serious fan - I really like it.....

Actually, that is a heatsink, it's not actually a fan. A fan just disperses air and "attempts" to move heat around in one direction. The job of the heatsink is to "take" the heat generated by the CPU and disperse it in any direction. My heatsink is slightly larger than the one pictured and has a fan that actually helps to remove some of that generated heat.

Regarding the build, it looks like total overkill for a file server. My file server is a "cube" server box I found on Kijiji. 15 TB of storage? That is insane. Why bother backing up your movies when you just watch them once (maybe twice). I personally don't find a purpose for having that much storage for movies, when you're only going to rewatch MAYBE 10 in a few years. I would just re-download them if need be.

The lights are overkill as well, who's looking at the file server? :P

My fileserver only has one fan, directed at my hard disks. Generally (or depending on where you located it) you want it to be quiet, so a passive solution might be best.

I'm not saying it's a bad build, it actually looks really great but for its purpose, I think it's overkill.

It's the fan for the CPU

Thats a serious fan - I really like it.....

Actually, that is a heatsink, it's not actually a fan. A fan just disperses air and "attempts" to move heat around in one direction. The job of the heatsink is to "take" the heat generated by the CPU and disperse it in any direction. My heatsink is slightly larger than the one pictured and has a fan that actually helps to remove some of that generated heat.

Regarding the build, it looks like total overkill for a file server. My file server is a "cube" server box I found on Kijiji. 15 TB of storage? That is insane. Why bother backing up your movies when you just watch them once (maybe twice). I personally don't find a purpose for having that much storage for movies, when you're only going to rewatch MAYBE 10 in a few years. I would just re-download them if need be.

The lights are overkill as well, who's looking at the file server? :P

My fileserver only has one fan, directed at my hard disks. Generally (or depending on where you located it) you want it to be quiet, so a passive solution might be best.

I'm not saying it's a bad build, it actually looks really great but for its purpose, I think it's overkill.

But Overkill is awesome!

The lights actually came with the fans that antec put in the case.

I made sure all disks have a fan on them.

I have has some data loss over the years and that is why there is so much space. I have two separate Raid 5 Volumes with all my important data backed up twice.

I ripped the movies to it for convenience. With the XBMC server\frontend. All my movies are on demand.

also... all fans on this server are turned all the way down... this thing is QUIET!

Nice little setup, I use a 20 TB array at home without a RAID setup. I like the NAS setup or "Just A Bunch Of Disks" (JBOD). I'm moving most of my stuff to SSD's and a mixed RAID array later this year! Even at 20 TB I still run out of space.

2 Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 P3D412 in a 4.75 cu. ft sealed box.

Alpine Type-R SPR-17S 2-way component 6.5"

Alpine SPR-57C 5" x 7" 2-Way Coaxial Speaker (Pair)

RF T1000-1bdCP

Alpine MRP-F300

62.5 SQ Ft. Audio Wrap

Stinger SPC122 Capacitor 1 Farad Chrome w/Blue Neon

Limo Tint All Back 5 Windows

2mgqurs.png

358c1w1.gif

computergeek.jpg