Second Skin Audio

Sub Orientation in Trunk Car

Ok, I bought a 12" Death Penalty on the last day of the sale and I am in the design process of the enclosure. My car is an 08 Infiniti G35 with factory Bose/Navi with a 10 inch factory sub in the rear deck. I will be taking the factory sub out in order to allow sound to x-fer to the passenger cabin. The majority of what I've read for trunk cars says, for best results fire sub back and port back. Would I be ok firing the sub face up into the vacant 10" hole, and firing the port back?

The dimensions I have for my sub back/port back enclosure is 15.5" H x 31.5w x 16.25 d. This comes out to a final 2.22 cuft 33.48hz with 35 sqin of port. Now, I can adjust the box height up to 17" if I were to fire the sub up, but, I would have to reduce the depth to say 15.

Also, I'm a little concerned with port area. I dont want the port area to be too small at 35sqin, but it is an avg of 15.77 per foot. I'm afraid of making the port non linear with the enclosure. But IA suggests an avg box of 2.5cuft with 35sqin of port, so according to them I would be good. I just wanted to hear the opinions of others on this. Thanks for any input guys.

P.S. The power I will be running to it is

2300 RMS @ 1ohm/14.4v

Will be adding an xs power batt in the back as well.

In a hurry but to address your first question I would still arrange the enclosure with a sub-back port-back orientation as the sub would be loading off of the hatch then sending the output forward. (stated vaguely) This is why traditionally sub-back port-back in a trunk car yields better results. (Unless you were willing to do both firing forward and sealing everything off into the cabin) The vacant stock subwoofer location would just allow more sound pressure into the cabin. Do the rear seats fold down?

Also, what amplifier are you planning to use? You will be running close to 800wrms over rated power if you are getting true output from your amplifier, you have to remember that once you start running more than the driver's rated rms you also have to consider making enclosure adjustments so that the subwoofer does not experience unloading issues. (typically more power = smaller box) You'll get more insight from the other members but i'm on mobile now on my way to class so hopefully this helps you out!

Edited by Cashdollar2009

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Two 12" DC Audio XL M2'sCrescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

Does it matter if your sub is attracted to other subs of the same voicecoil configuration or not?

keeding

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

If not concerned about trunk space, cause if it's the coupe, Its very small. I would say glass the spare tire well and build on top of that

svc2.png

ttf.png

2006 Dodge Charger

(2) Kinetic 3800

(1) DC Power 270XP

(4) T1-12D4

(1) T2500BDCP

(2) T400.4

7.5 cubic ft.

(2) 6 in ports thru the rear deck

(2) T165.2

(2) T169.3

In a hurry but to address your first question I would still arrange the enclosure with a sub-back port-back orientation as the sub would be loading off of the hatch then sending the output forward. (stated vaguely) This is why traditionally sub-back port-back in a trunk car yields better results. (Unless you were willing to do both firing forward and sealing everything off into the cabin) The vacant stock subwoofer location would just allow more sound pressure into the cabin. Do the rear seats fold down?

Also, what amplifier are you planning to use? You will be running close to 800wrms over rated power if you are getting true output from your amplifier, you have to remember that once you start running more than the driver's rated rms you also have to consider making enclosure adjustments so that the subwoofer does not experience unloading issues. (typically more power = smaller box) You'll get more insight from the other members but i'm on mobile now on my way to class so hopefully this helps you out!

Yes, I was thinking sub /port back was the way to go. My seats do not fold down. It's solid sheet metal with a few triangular holes here and there. I do have a fold down ski pass though. The amp is a DB Drive pt2000.1d