Sonic Electronix

do passive crossovers affect impedance

okay so i'm trying to get into home audio, and i want to construct my own floorstanding speakers (towers) from scratch basically.

i'm trying to self educate myself a little on how this all works. recently i've hit a road block trying to understand crossovers. i've been reading this article and it has filled me in pretty well. it has left me with a couple questions though.

1. can a crossover affect the total resistance? if so, how does this work, and how does one figure out what the resistance is and how to figure it into the equation to figure out the final (nominal?) resistance?

2. what the hell is phase shift, how does it work, and how can one work with the (numerical?) value?

my knowledge is likely mediocre at best. so if someone could please enlighten me in very basic terminology, that would be great. also, i have little knowledge on how resistors work. after reading a couple articles i remember seeing that resistors can be another factor in the building of a floorstanding speaker. IIRC there was something about how certain drivers' responses spike at certain frequencies and that resistors are used to essentially even out the volume levels across the drivers. is there any truth behind this? if so how does it work?

thanks

Edited by 412 CVX

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

I would really appreciate some help on the matter. more so on how to build your own crossover ATM. like how to select crossover frequency, what parts to buy, resistance... etc.

i've been at this for like 5 hours now and i can't figure it out

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

I hope this helps http://www.termpro.com/articles/xover2.html I built some crossovers using the info in this article. You can find everything you need to build some at www.parts-express.com

Edit: while your a parts express you might want to check out their speaker projects. They list the drivers, the componets you need for the crossovers, and give you a blueprint for the enclosure.

Edited by mikeg321

4 fully loaded Fi sp4 15's

2 Crescendo bc5500s

Crescendo c1100.4

6 focal mids

Vifa tweets

5 XS Power d3100's

Pioneer avh-p4200dvd

All crammed into a mustang.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150569-mikeg321s-fi-nendo-mustang-getting-walled-videos-page-4/

I hope this helps http://www.termpro.com/articles/xover2.html I built some crossovers using the info in this article. You can find everything you need to build some at www.parts-express.com

Edit: while your a parts express you might want to check out their speaker projects. They list the drivers, the componets you need for the crossovers, and give you a blueprint for the enclosure.

thanks for the reply!

i've seen their speaker projects. there are certainly some nice ones, however i would like to more or less design my own. i've also read through that article, and it's helped me tremendously, but there are still a few questions left unanswered. mainly right now i want to ensure my amp sees an 8 ohm load, and i'm not sure how a crossover will affect this, or if it will affect it at all.

More box builds

I'm with captain stupid.

If nobody helps you before my next day off (thursday) I'll dig one of my crossovers out from the wiring mess I have hidden behind a beauty panel in my trunk and test to see how it effects impedance.

4 fully loaded Fi sp4 15's

2 Crescendo bc5500s

Crescendo c1100.4

6 focal mids

Vifa tweets

5 XS Power d3100's

Pioneer avh-p4200dvd

All crammed into a mustang.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150569-mikeg321s-fi-nendo-mustang-getting-walled-videos-page-4/

this stuff is starting to make sense to me. the whole impedance thing is pretty much the only thing i haven't figured out yet.

i read somewhere that the capacitor will present an impedance load equal to the driver at the crossover point. so with a 4 ohm tweeter the amp would be seeing 4 + 4 ohms at the crossover point.

i guess i'm still somewhat unsure what the crossover point is exactly. my understanding is that it's the frequency at which output is attenuated, is this correct?

More box builds

I'm with captain stupid.